Author Topic: Console volt meter gauge issue 68 SS/RS  (Read 4384 times)

mike1952

• View Profile
Console volt meter gauge issue 68 SS/RS
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
Mine is not working. Noticed I have later model alternator with internal regulator.  Appears it is supposed to utilize a dash warning light only if it is not charging? Can I get it to work with my console gauge somehow?

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Console volt meter gauge issue 68 SS/RS
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
The console gauge is an ammeter, not a volt meter  (well, technically I guess it is a voltmeter that is looking at a voltage differential to determine how much the alternator is charging).  Either way, I don't know the answer to your question regarding using the original ammeter with a different alternator/regulator set-up.  Hopefully, someone else can answer your question.  However, there is a voltmeter available that will install in place of the original ammeter and look like it belongs there.  It is made by American Autowire.  I installed one in my car, and it is a very nice upgrade in my opinion.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »
The Ammeter wont work if the external regulator is not utilized. It senses a voltage drop - or increase + from two different locations as a shunt and this difference is picked up at the meter. One of the locations is at the external Reg.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:47:08 AM »
The Ammeter wont work if the external regulator is not utilized.

I don't think that's quite true Steve. I have an internally regulated alternator and my ammeter works just fine. I just used the adapter adapter kit from M&H (their P/N 27555). Everything else is completely stock. (NEW, but stock.)

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:58 AM »
Posted with permission from the author, here's the wiring diagram for the ammeter from the 1969 CAMARO WIRING DIAGRAM AND ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL by Larry DuBois.

Ed
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:53:59 PM by bertfam »

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:38 PM »
You are correct. If the adapter is used and the ammeter loop is not broken the ammeter will function.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
I also have a similar problem after fitting a newer larger alternator.
I routed the alternator positive directly to the battery as it is a 100A alternator and I didnt think the factory wiring would handle that.
I still have the original charge wire connected to the alternator as well but I unplugged the old external regulator.
Hence my Ampmeter doesnt go.
Referring to the drawing above:
My wiring is the same except that I also have a larger charge wire going directly to the battery
Am I correct in that the pin #2 of the old regulator is the reference loop?
So basically my charge system is wired as above, if I connect only the wire for pin #2 my meter should function?
Thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
HERE'S some info from the International Scout site that might help. (Uses the same alternator as the Camaro) The 3rd reply down shows how to wire it up.

Ed

anything