Author Topic: Brake system brass tube seats - where to buy ???  (Read 3694 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Brake system brass tube seats - where to buy ???
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:26:35 AM »
Does anyone know where you can buy the brass tube seats found in the ports of your master cylinder, brake calipers, and distribution block?

I am rebuilding my distribution block with a kit from Muscle Car Research and it seems my distribution block has an oddball size seat. The seat you have to pull out in order to get the springs and piston out. The pressed in part of the seat I pulled out of my block is 13/32 inch in diameter. The replacement seat from the kit is 3/8 inch in diameter. It's only 1/32 inch but it makes all the difference in the world as far as the press fit

I called Scott at Muscle Car Research and to this point, he hasn't come across a block that his 3/8 inch replacement hasn't worked in.  He does not stock the size I need. Interestingly enough, I have another distribution block here identical to mine. I bought it off of Ebay to get the switch terminal off of it (I broke mine) and the bore in it is smaller than mine and the 3/8 seat would work in that one.

I have looked online and checked with NAPA and other auto parts stores and turned up nothing. When I show it to the guys at the auto parts stores, they look at it like it's something that came from another planet.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks.......Dave

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Re: Brake system brass tube seats - where to buy ???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
Try Apple Hydraulics in New York. When they recently sleeved my M/C they supplied the two brass tube seats for $5. They may have what you need.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
Or white White Post Restorations. That is what they do.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
You might not need new seats. I restored these by chucking in a drill and cleaning up with a smooth single cut file and scotchbright as needed.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:42:02 AM »
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. The holidays had me sidetracked.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of refurbishing them with the drill and file.

Dave