Author Topic: Faking Zs Even when you had a L34  (Read 8505 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Faking Zs Even when you had a L34
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:29:42 AM »
This was a car my father bought/traded in a 65 Mustang for my older brother back in the early 80's..  It was an Ash Gold/Gold Deluxe interior car, L34, 4 speed with a BU diff.  Once my brother graduated high school he had the car restored and it was then known as the black car..  Long story short the car was sold back to my father and he built a nice L78 engine and ran that up until he sold it in the spring of '96.  It went to a chicken farmer down in Bryant AL.  I actually was allowed to get the car out on the weekends and "cruise" around but what my father never knew was I used to street race this car and I was never beaten in the car..   8)  Used to hit the local car wash to get all the rubber out of the wheel wells and off the quarters before going home for the night.  Last I heard the guy who bought it popped the motor and had a truck 454 in it..  Would like to know whatever happened to that car.//

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Faking Zs Even when you had a L34
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:33:21 AM »
While going through other photo albums I came across pics of the 1st  of 2 pace cars my dad restored back in the late 90's.  This was at its 1st car show in either '95 or '96 at Oktoberfest in Lebanon.

Cool pic of my dad and mom together at the cars first car show. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Cool trailer hitch on the black car. You guys fished a lot?
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
Only fishing we were did was for Camaros..  The hitch was for the little trailer we would use to haul small stuff around or move dirt and/or gravel.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
The hitch was for the little trailer we would use to haul small stuff around or move dirt and/or gravel.

Darrell - That's what Chevy trucks are for, not Chevy Camaros! :)

Paul

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
We rednecks liked to haul ass with class!!! 8)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
LOL! ;D

Paul

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
Your Dad did beautiful work. Do you have contact with all of the current owners?

As far as Faking Z's, back in the day, that seemed to be step 1: add Z emblem to fender, when personalizing.

An " older kid" from the neighborhood did his Camaro in the 70's. Old neighbor ladies' 6 banger 69. Primer and Ohio rust, doomed in the driveway. By 79 had a blown 427, complete with GM aluminum heads, narrowed 12 bolt, " rock crusher". All GM sheet metal. Yenko paint scheme...with Z/28 on the fenders,lol. Car is alive and well, same owner. Promised he'll pull out of the cocoon when I'm ready to hit some shows.

Friend from work has a gorgeous, show quality 8.9, 72' with you guessed, Z/28 on the fenders. Guess it makes them go just that much faster.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
He would have never broke out of the 9's without those emblems!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »
Sadly I do not...  You never thought about that sort of thing back then (at least I didnt).  Plus he owned so many cars its hard to remember them all and keep track of them.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
Matter of fact, he just finished a tube chassis 69', heading for the mid 7's. Hot Rod black, and pretty sure wearing the Z tags. Car looks absolutely sinister. Just shy of 700 cubic inches...well that's more then 2 302's !

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
Mountain motor..??..  Who built it?  Sonny Leonard prepped block?

959ci Pro Mod injected engine.. 

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »
Don't know the details....believe he picked up a rail for a good price, tore it down, had it powder coated, sold and made out, kept the engine.

Prepped and tuned on the dyno  locally, around 1200 hp and some change. Dual quads on alcohol...

Lots of race cars around here being close to so many tracks, he had his eye on that 69 for some time, and just waited out the opportunity to jump on it Everybody gets bored with what they got, and want something else.Fun is in the build.Nice launching car. Well set up. Z's not even done, and we are thinking big block in the Anglia, hunting for the mid 8's. And putting that sbc in another 68...that I don't own yet !  Different site,lol.

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »
Everyone used to fake Z's back in the day, but back in the 80's this was the norm for anything that wasn't genuine. Everybody wanted a car as bad and as fast as the real cars they used to see street racing on Friday or Saturday nights. Take this car as a case in point. Locally sold and a one owner base Rallysport coupe that was factory equipped with a 327, power glide and base blue interior. In the early 80's a local kid named Chris Gouda gets a hold of it and starts eyeing up some mods for it. In 1984 he strips the paint in his dads body shop and then decides to start collecting some parts for it from the local GM counter at GSL Chevrolet. It takes him 3 years to complete the transition and pay for all the parts, but he does it by ordering a complete NOS deluxe interior with buckets, headrests, console gauges, fold down rear seat, tic toc tack, speedminder, rear defrost and a long list of GM original parts that totaled into the tens and tens of thousands back in the mid eighties. He then begins to work on the drive line and installs a 302 built by a well known local racer, added an M22 trans, 12 bolt with 4:10 gears and then repaints the car with factory Grotto Blue adding white stripes in his dads body shop. Of course he then added the Z/28 fender tags to emulate the car he'd often dreamed of having.

After 2/3 years of down time, out comes a wicked 68 street car that has remained local and looks every bit a real Z/28. It was also done at a time in which it was an accepted norm to modify or alter cars, and back then cars were not referred to as a numbers or born with car, clones, tributes or even fakes. Just a built car that looked cool and took some numbers on the street. I own the car now and it makes a really wicked driver with what is now a 30 year old restoration on an original low mile chassis. All of the underside floors are still factory stock with their original undercoating and the car has zero rust. Drives like it was restored yesterday and has no squeaks or leaks anywhere, and no repop parts (except for the cowl breather added a couple years ago). Every part Chris bought was an NOS GM piece and I have all of the receipts from the long list of GM parts that he ordered when it was restored. People said he was crazy when he did this but all that mattered to him was building the car he truly wanted. Numbers simply didn't mean much of anything to many back then.  ;D

Even the 30 year old NOS sill plates are looking killer in this car (try and find those now days). The car does have GM docs showing the original RS build, and I plan to keep this little gem my driver car for many many years to come. Over the winter, the heads will be freshened, the cam stepped up a few notches, headers will be added and a Crossram will be installed with a freshly built pair of 4295 carbs. Might even add a few Day II mods since I plan to have a lot of fun with this car as my two boys come of age to become car owners. I have no problem with clones, tributes and built cars as long as one is honest about what they are, especially if they are as nicely done as this one, or have verified GM paper showing the true nature of the car. Here are some shots of this nice little coupe that I have added to my growing collection. Z tags and all.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:26:58 PM by GreenNV »
Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
And here's a little cruise video I shot while taking it out for a late fall run a few weeks back. Such a fun car to drive.

https://youtu.be/PUSqHdNoFZM
Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?

anything