Author Topic: Brake Problem  (Read 2782 times)

Olympic gold

• View Profile
Brake Problem
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:14 PM »
need help finding out what happened to my brakes it all started early in the year i felt my brakes were loosing power/vacuum i believe it was the original power disk brake set up well i was drag racing and something must have got in between the rotor and brake and cracked my driver side rotor so i brought it to my engine builder and had them replace brake pads, rotors, power brake  reservoir and install a vacuum pump  already had a vacuum canister. brakes worked good better than before until going 108 at the end of the quarter mile my master cylinder went out and i barley got the car stopped with the rear drums. i also needed the car fixed in just 4 days to make it to the bracket finals so i had a racer that is also a mechanic replace the master cylinder brakes worked better than ever. until today when i just got it back from getting new exhaust on it and went to unload it of the trailer and had no brakes making the car roll of the trailer too fast braking my front splitter. so i am asking what could be wrong because everything is basically new and where in PA could i get it fixed. thanks           

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Brake Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
I'm answering this since you asked about where in PA but PA is one huge state, and you have next to zero in your profile information so where in PA are you located? How about a first name?  :) I have two shops I'd recommend depending if your somewhere in the area.
With your information given it would seem most difficult to establish what might be wrong. What was determined to be a root cause for each issue? Or was what you wrote the fix to just add parts? Not meant as a negative comment but I'd want to take an issue like "brakes" to a mechanic (shop) that know brakes and can determine what went wrong and what to fix and not necessarily to an engine builder and then a fellow racer also a mechanic. Why the need for a vacuum pump? You stated the master cylinder went out but did the racer also mechanic determine again root cause. Your car brake system needs a full review and attention of a acknowledged brake expert. Good luck!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Olympic gold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:52:35 AM »
I'm answering this since you asked about where in PA but PA is one huge state, and you have next to zero in your profile information so where in PA are you located? How about a first name?  :) I have two shops I'd recommend depending if your somewhere in the area.
With your information given it would seem most difficult to establish what might be wrong. What was determined to be a root cause for each issue? Or was what you wrote the fix to just add parts? Not meant as a negative comment but I'd want to take an issue like "brakes" to a mechanic (shop) that know brakes and can determine what went wrong and what to fix and not necessarily to an engine builder and then a fellow racer also a mechanic. Why the need for a vacuum pump? You stated the master cylinder went out but did the racer also mechanic determine again root cause. Your car brake system needs a full review and attention of a acknowledged brake expert. Good luck!
you are exactly right when you say i need a shop that knows brakes that is why i am asking for recommendations never found a root cause because everything they did fixed it temporarily vacuum pump was because i was right on the edge of my motor making enough vacuum running a near 500 horse 383 stroker i live in clearfield pa but own a truck and trailer and am willing to tow far to get this fixed my name is Eric and thanks for the help.       

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
you are exactly right when you say i need a shop that knows brakes that is why i am asking for recommendations never found a root cause because everything they did fixed it temporarily vacuum pump was because i was right on the edge of my motor making enough vacuum running a near 500 horse 383 stroker i live in clearfield pa but own a truck and trailer and am willing to tow far to get this fixed my name is Eric and thanks for the help.       
Hi Eric, wish you were closer as your 150 plus miles away in the western part of the state but I know who can determine what is wrong, explain what might be needed in laymen terms and why and fix you up, RaceKrafters (phone 717-399-8780) just outside of Lancaster, PA just off Rt. 30. They were close friends with Bill Jenkins and worked with him on several types of race engines but are also experts from wiring to suspensions which includes brake systems from a state inspection to brakes used on drag cars, etc.. I'd want to know if it was my car why it cannot make sufficient vacuum but that is just one part of the brake system evaluation. Again, wish you were closer!  https://www.facebook.com/Racekrafters-Automotive-125698737483709/
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584