Author Topic: Correct interior painting for 723, Midnight green?  (Read 4537 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Correct interior painting for 723, Midnight green?
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
Hi,
I´m helping a friend with the restoration of his X77D80 06A built car and I have some quests regarding the interior and what was painted or just black!

I found these when I searched this web site:
Everything inside a car with a 723 Midnight Green interior would be dark green except for the instrument cluster and the seat belts (unless it was ordered with deluxe seat belts). It would not have left the plant with a black dash pad and headrests.

The instrument cluster would be painted dark green on the sides of it.

1. Should the steering column be Midnight Green as well?
2. What is the RAL or NCS-code for that Midnight Green interior color?
3. Where can I find an example of the only the outside instrument cluster paint?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Correct interior painting for 723, Midnight green?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
Hakan,
1. Yes, the upper (visible) section of the steering column should be green - also see Q3.
2. See interior color chart below for Midnight Green.
3. Here's the original factory dark blue dash on my car, you can see which parts of the plastic dash carrier are painted to match a non-black interior color - also note the steering column is painted. I can't find any pictures of the column after removal, so can't confirm the extent of color applied to the steering column below where it passes under the dash - but my recollection was that it wasn't dark blue all the way down.

Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
Wow, thanks for quick response, Tim!  :)
Do you have a larger pic of that color chart...it was a bit hard to read?!  :P

Great pics also, now I understand how we should paint!  :D
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:12:32 AM »
Sorry, don't have a bigger version of that image, that's straight from the automotive color reference section of www.tcpglobal.com
I'll see if I have any other sources of reference for interior color codes, pretty sure I have something else.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
Try this link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page for the same image I posted above, the quality of this one may be a little better:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1969&manuf=GM&smodel=Camaro&info=yes&page=6
Tim in Australia.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
Try this link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page for the same image I posted above, the quality of this one may be a little better:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1969&manuf=GM&smodel=Camaro&info=yes&page=6

Thank you!
Now when its easier to read I started wondering what's correct again....according to this all interior should be both black and Midnight Green when you have interior code 723??...or is it just me?  :o
And what is black and what is green..... ::)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 01:33:56 AM »
That interior color usage chart covers multiple Chevrolet models from the 1969 MY, so some other models may have had a mixture of interior colors for various components. The first section just clarifies that any interior part that is to be black for any interior color code, should be Ditzler 9266. Otherwise, follow the color codes listed for all other non-black interiors.
Tim in Australia.

anything