Author Topic: Battery question for my '69  (Read 12684 times)

supv26

• 1969 Camaro
    • View Profile
    • My 1969 Camaro
Battery question for my '69
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:18 PM »
 :-[
When the battery finally shot craps in my Camaro a month or so ago I just took it out and set it back so when I get my new one I will have it for the core. I also didn't want the dead battery just sitting in there taking a chance it could leak and since it is winter I am not driving it. Well, now I have forgotten if it was negative ground or positive ground. I am almost certain that most Chevy's were negative ground but I thought I'd better ask the mechanical experts before I put the new battery in.

Also, what would be a good recommendation for a new battery. Wal-Mart has a wide selection at their everyday low prices but would I be better off getting one from another source. The reason Wal-Mart has come to mind is the guarantee they carry and there is a Wal-Mart just about anywhere you go. The only thing I dislike about the better quality Wal-Mart Batteries is the bright yellow top! That would kind of stand out like a sore thumb with my set up.

Oh, LOL, when I took the old battery out I took my battery tray out and brush painted it with POR 15. I did this secretly in my garage late one night and hopefully no one saw me do it. I also brush painted some POR 15 onto the area directly below the battery and tray, out of sight from any car show judge, just in case a battery would ever leak and I didn't see it. When the new battery goes in this hand brush painted paint will not be seen and I will feel at ease knowing the metal is protected from corrosion with POR 15. ;)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Battery question for my '69
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 03:52:51 AM »
Put in an original style battery:
http://www.restorationbattery.com/products.html
If you're worried about a judge counting off for POR 15, then you definitely don't need a yellow-top Wally battery or any other current style.  That's the first thing you would see...

OK, I stand corrected by John and Rich below...  But if you're going to have it judged, I do know that can make a difference...  But now that JohnZ has suggested a battery topper as being acceptable... Buy the new Delco and a topper for show, you'll still come out cheaper!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:43:08 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
The "Restoration Batteries" are famous (infamous?) for short lives in normal service - a better choice is a current replacement Delco model 24-7YR for about sixty bucks, which will last at least seven years (that's what I use in all my "toys", haven't bought one since 2001). A "battery topper" will make it look absolutely original, if that's important to you. All domestic cars are negative ground.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

supv26

• 1969 Camaro
    • View Profile
    • My 1969 Camaro
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
I'll check into one of those Delco batteries. Thanks for the info
The "Restoration Batteries" are famous (infamous?) for short lives in normal service - a better choice is a current replacement Delco model 24-7YR for about sixty bucks, which will last at least seven years (that's what I use in all my "toys", haven't bought one since 2001). A "battery topper" will make it look absolutely original, if that's important to you. All domestic cars are negative ground.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:33:25 AM »
I would concur - tried the reprocuction battery about 8 yrs ago - lasted for about 2 - not worh the money.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:44:17 AM »
I am on my 2nd R-79S reproduction original "side post" battery for my 05A built Norwood 69Z.  (Ref Jerry MacNeish's 69 Fact book: in approx. March 69 the side post R-79S was introduced replacing the Y-55; tops post units; but he goes on to explain, " Original cars with top-post were have been found which were built June - July 1969". A possible explanation is that T-60, top-post HD battery was specified when the car was ordered."  

I purchased my batteries from Restoration Battery out of Cincinnati, 513-451-1038.  They were good to work with, very knowledgeable, and can provide just about any old style Delco battery for any year car you can think of.  They will date code the battery for you and know what model battery options were available for your car.  They were honest with me that these batteries are "just like the originals” and may not last as long as today's modern technology batteries.

Well they were true to their word.  I paid $239.50 originally in 1998 for the first which had a cell go bad after about 4 years, then a second battery at a pro rate price again went dead after about 3 - 4 years.  I also purchased one of their SureCharge IV battery tenders and used it religiously. It will start the car to get to a show, but I am lucky to get the car started to get back home from the show!

At "point shows" (if that is what is what your into), as long as you have an NOS or an original style battery in the trunk of the car, no points will be deducted.  Its a bit of a pain, but I carry along my R-79S and slip into position at a points show so the under hood look totally original. Details...details...details...but that is what wins points!  (I just hope the judges don't ask me to start the car!)

Personally, having a "Delco" battery in our Camaros just seems to fit better, and goes with the saying "Keep your GM all GM".  

All told, so far I have had no problems for over two years with the AC Delco "Professional Car & Truck" battery, side post #78-7Yr, 960 cranking Amp, 770 cold cranking amp model.  

Does any one else out there have an original or suvivor 69 with side post battery or side post battery cables?  If so, what is your assy build date?  Ref page 162 in the 69 AIM calling out the side post cables.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
This is a little out of scope for this discussion..........

I "hollowed-out" an old repro R59 top post battery with the hopes of finding a battery that will fit inside.  I left the original battery posts on top, thinking that I'll drill and tap a bolt hole into each.  I'll attach battery cables to fit.

So far..I've found the battery (that's under $75) I'm planning to use.  Now all I have to do is get it and hook things up.

This seems drastic, and it is, but I'm on my third R59 battery, and I'm not so thrilled about that battery topper.

I'll keep you folks informed as to my progess.

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »
I tried a reproduction battery and it lasted just long enough for the warranty to expire. What a waste of money. As far as the toppers go I think they look like crap. If I'm at a big show I just put my dead R59 in when I get there otherwise I don't worry about the battery. Most local car show judges don't know what's right anyway.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »
Camaronut and I, both found a great solution.
Read this thread ---> http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1607.0

So far, I am very satisfied with how mine turned out.
Ask me again in 3 years for the status. :)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
Jeff,

Can you find that thread that I posted about my dealings with CCB in Ohio.  We found them to be incompetant.  Remember they are the ones who told us to take off the original side terminal cables and replace them with repros because CCB did not make the correct threaded cable holes in their batteries, yeah they were great to deal with.

Their dealer discount program is great too.  You buy 10 batteries and you get about a $10 discount.

Jerry

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 02:36:09 AM »
Tnanks Jeff,

JM

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:47:09 AM »
Here is a bunch of battery info, including details of when the top post to side post change occurred. Realize that the timing of the change is different for different batteries and for different plants.
http://www.camaros.org/underhood.shtml#Batteries

Don't go by the dates in the AIM. The info in that link is the result of a lot of time spent researching when this change actually occurred. It took me a while to realize there was a difference in the changeovers for the two battery models, then the data made sense. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:10:04 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG