Author Topic: finding original owner  (Read 35980 times)

tim69camaro

• View Profile
Re: finding original owner
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 01:45:46 AM »
If the car was ever in North Carolina you can get a lot of DMV information about the car. The form is online (605 is the number) and mail it in with $1.00. I got all owners and titles for my car back to 1976 when it shows the car was purchased by a dealer at Clanton Auto Auction in South Carolina. Next I find what South Carolina will do, they have something on there website about freedom of information act.
Tim Bailey

12ptbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »
is it possible to look up a car i owned with out the vin#

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
Some states do offer a way to get information without the VIN.  Why don't you check with the DMV in the state where you owned to car.  I don't think the privacy law would prohibit you if you owned the car...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

zegret

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »
I was lucky to find all kinds of information in the glove box of my 69 when I bought it.  Plus, I got a copy of a title form from 1986 that has the then owner's name, address, DOB, DL#.  From the looks of this sheet, he is the original owner.  Did a quick Google search and found he is still in NM, as well as his son, whose information was stuffed in the glove box, too.  Anyone know how stingy the NM DPS or title office is when it comes to information?  Hopefully I can track them down, and get lucky enough to find the original engine!
1969 Coupe
1969 RS
1980 Z28
2002 SS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »
Again, start with the state where you owned the car...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »
Zegret,I tried N.M. dmv about 6 mo.ago! No real help,records go back 10 yrs. I bought Z10 in march 76. I  knew previous owners name & old address,so I search it on comp. & found a tel no. I called he didnt have any paper work & could not remember original owners name.Im sure it was bought in Albuquerque N.M. Probably at Galles Grosbeck Chevrolet,or Ed Blacks Chevrolet. Only 2 dealers in town at the time! Ed Blacks has been closed for yrs,Galles did not have any records! :'(
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 04:10:48 AM »
In tennessee you can run a title search they keep record's for as long as the car stay's in the state. I did mine in 1989 & got all prior owner's plus copy of original dealer sheet @ mso. Now several friend's that did with same result's. Last one done they blacked out previous owner's names but still got copy of dealer sheet @ mso because of privacy laws. Hope this help's. good luck!

MDSS396

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »
Anyone have experience with Ohio DMV? Do they keep records past 10 years? I found there records request form - I will give that a shot.  I wrote letters to the address's on the title - one was returned undeliverable and I didn't hear anything from the other.

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
In tennessee you can run a title search they keep record's for as long as the car stay's in the state. I did mine in 1989 & got all prior owner's plus copy of original dealer sheet @ mso. Now several friend's that did with same result's. Last one done they blacked out previous owner's names but still got copy of dealer sheet @ mso because of privacy laws. Hope this help's. good luck!

Same luck for me from TN.  They even had the invoice, MSO, and lean papers where the guy borrowed money on it.  They did black out all the previous owners names and addresses, though.  I did it about 5 years ago.

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 04:00:00 AM »
Another avenue to search is Tax records.. here in CT we are annually taxed on our vehicles so each town has a automobile tax record with VIN and I was able to search them and use that to find the original owner... I forget how i knew what town to search but you will need to follow each owner backwards to find out.... needless to say I eventually called the first owner who turned out to be very unhelpful.... the Camaro was a sore subject and was sold due to a divorce... so the guy would not help...not even tell me his ex-wife's name.. so what do you do?

BTW the second owner was really helpful, gave me lots of original photos, and was thrilled to talk about the Camaro..
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 04:09:18 AM »
HELP... I am looking for any info on my car...  124378N456763  Camaro L78 car... most likely from Mass.. has a 1986 Mass Motor Vehicle Inspection sticker #5451366  Also has a green decal Moosehead U.   Any suggestions or any help is greatly appreciated....
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

anything