Author Topic: finding original owner  (Read 35984 times)

Adz28

• View Profile
Re: finding original owner
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 02:59:58 AM »
To your knowledge, since I live in Florida, will the Florida DMV have information on previous owners that were titled out of Florida? I assume they won't and I will  be the only one on the list. I would also think it should tell me the last state it was registered in.

In the meantime, I filled out a similar DMV form for Arkansas (where the car was titled before me) and had to pay $75. They said they would contact me by email, but I have not heard back from them yet. Can you let me know how Florida presents the results when you receive?

Thanks,
Adam

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
Adam,

To your knowledge, since I live in Florida, will the Florida DMV have information on previous owners that were titled out of Florida? I assume they won't and I will  be the only one on the list. I would also think it should tell me the last state it was registered in.

From what the email from Ms. Hall at the FDMV says, I probably will not be able to answer your question.  My car was with the previous owner in Florida prior to 96, and the FDMV was crystal clear that all I'm getting for my $15 is 10 years of microfiche records for Florida($75 seems like robbery). 

I know about the previous owner by that "quiet" method --even got a copy of the Florida title through my dealer.

But, hey, it's only 15 dollars, so first chance I get I'll fill out the form and see what happens.  In the meantime, I'm going to follow Rich's #2 suggestion with the previous owner and see if I can find out where he got it from...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Kramer79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 01:10:41 AM »
I found my original owner, but the address was wrong and my letter got sent back! What information specifically should I be looking for? I was just curious about options and any documentation that was still around, any other good questions I can ask if I do get this guy on the phone?

Jarret
67 L30/M20

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »
At least ask about:
1. Any original documentation (build sheet, POP, sticker, etc.)
2. Any resto. or replacement along the way (and what happened to original)
3. The history of the car working toward original owner and/or dealership of origin.
But ultimately what you need is #1.  If you cannot get that then you have to piece the puzzle together as best you can from other info. in 2 & 3.

Good luck!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 07:56:53 PM »
OK, here's what I got from the Florida DMV for my $15.00:
1 A computer print out of the info. they have on file (remember they only claim to keep 10 years of records), which tells: other vehicle info (I requested through the VIN), title info., previous owner (there was only one listed in that 10 yr. period and I already knew about him from the transfer of the title to here in NC, but read on), plate and registration info., and Lien holders.  That print out only took it back to 98 when a tag was issued.
2. A duplicate copy of the Florida title that takes it back to another owner and address in 95.  (I figure this guy either brought it into Florida in 95 or that is the extent of the Florida records.  In either case, I've got somewhere to go for more info.)

I guess my bigger point is that I followed Rich's advise (looking for original dealership, classic car research, etc.) and they did send me the info. hassle free.  This is in spite of the fact that they publish a strict privacy policy.

So, it's worth a try...

...And yesterday, I got back a $12.00 refund check from the State of Florida, because they determined the info. they sent me was worth just $3.00 --not a bad deal!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:00:16 PM by lakeholme »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »
(OK, one last post to give anyone still searching some hope...)
I wrote a "hat-in-hand" letter to the gentleman that goes the fartherest back in the info supplied by FDMV.  He turned out to be second owner and knew the first owner (now deceased) and the original dealership!  He also told me where the POP, etc. might be (3rd owner).  At any rate, I now have a full history of my car (even know about the replacement motor and body repair that I suspected) and it cost me $3.00 plus postage!  There is hope!  Keep looking and be polite...

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 03:45:20 AM »
i had the original owner, and his whole family over my house last week. it was a little easier for me, as i bought the car from him in 1984. i searched the internet under his name and found out that he had moved to the same town i live in. he was so excited to hear that i still had the car, that he came over to see it even though it is not finished. he brought me a camaro windbreaker that he said the dealer had given him when he picked up the car. he said that he had just seen the original sales receipt from village chevrolet not a few weeks ago, and even remembered what it cost. although he couldn't find it, he feels that his wife may have thrown it out as they are packing up to move to arizona. he came to the house with his wife and two kids, aged 38, and 32 who used to ride in the back seat. they spent about three hours looking over the car and reminiscing. he is going to keep looking for the sales receipt, and his son swears he has seen the owners manual for it. now what is usually with the owners maunal? hopfully a p-o-p.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

hair

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »
anyone know if texas dmv wil give out inflo , and how far they can go back , lookin for 1th owners of my 69

Adz28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »
I can't say I am having the same luck as lakeholme. Missouri gave me a hard time, but told me the previous state of registration. Arkansas provided me with some more info, but it was copies of titles with the names/street blacked out. They stated privacy laws and then referred me to the previous state.

On to Colorado...

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 12:17:57 AM »
I've been trying to locate the owner/origin of my 69 Coupe too.  It was last titled in Tennessee before I titled it in Massachusetts. I just got an email today from the DMV in TN. They sent me a list of states with phone #'s to the title offices.  It sounds like the DMV in TN is not a government office from what they wrote it their email.  Anyway, I'm going to call tomorrow but thought I'd post the web site tonight.  It's http://www.dmv.org:80/dmv-phone-numbers.php.  It may help...I'l let you guys know how I make out.
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 01:54:05 AM »
Joe,

DMV.org is not a government agency... Note the fine print under their banner head on the website you listed; "Privately owned..."

Chances are the phone number is going to get you to someone who will tell you to file a request...

I couldn't get a direct link to work (without your having to pay a sunscriber fee), so...

The Tennessee Information request form is found in a page under tennessee.gov. as follows:
http://www.dmv-department-of-motor-vehicles.com/TN_Tennessee_dmv_department_of_motor_vehicles.htm
Then click on Vehicle Title and Registration
Then click on Your Vehicle
Then click on Requesting Information
Then click on Vehicle Information Request

Looks like they are a strict enforcer of their privacy act.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:17:17 AM by lakeholme »

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
Well here's what I came up with...I called the # on the listfrom that web site, 888-871-3171.  This # gets you in touch with the Tennessee Department of Revenue, Taxpayer and Vehicle Services Division for the State of TN.   After a quite a long wait I was in touch with a very nice woman.  I told her what I was that I was looking for.  She directed me to www.tennessee.gov/revenue/.  Once there, scroll down to forms and click on Vehicle Information Request.  I printed it out and sent it out this AM with a money order.

That's all I have for an update so far.  I have no idea if anything will come back or when.  Again I'll keep you guys posted.
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Adz28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
Here is another tip... Google your VIN number or partial VIN. You never know what will come up. Google indexes so deep into websites that it may find a post on a forum, or in a web ad. I actually found a previous owner this way.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »
And don't limit yourself to just Google.  Try other search engines.  Google will not bring up the original posting of my VIN here on CRG, but Yahoo does.  Try them all...

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 11:42:55 PM »
Phillip
Thanks for the pointer.  I had the last owners name and address from 1981 when the Title was issused to him.  I found his present address and his phone #on a google phone book search!  I tried calling but no answer so far.  I hope he has a good memory and remembers who he bought it from!!  I'll try again later.
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

anything