Author Topic: Worth Restoring?  (Read 5244 times)

skoshkarli

• View Profile
Worth Restoring?
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »
Hi,

I recently bought a 68 camaro and the previous owner had someone do quiet a bit of work on it. This is what has been done:
1. new roof
2. new quarter panels - both
3. New rocker panels - both
4. New floor pan
5. new trunk pan
6. new fenders

anyhow, most of everything that could be cut, has been cut and replaced. now i have a couple of areas of concern with the car and wanted to see if someone can guide me to see if this is even worth restoring and what the potential cost could be.
My main concerns are this:
1. both of the rear frame rails have some patchwork on them, i am not sure if this is safe and should i be cutting these off and welding new ones? if i do that, would is the approximate cost for something like this?
2. The rocker panels seem to have not been welded in straight. the gap under the door seems to grow larger as it gets closer to the quarter panel and is much smaller when it gets to the front of the car. this is same on both doors.
3. i have the windshield for the car and its not installed, but just laying in its place. it seems like the windshield has a too much of a gap between the pillar and the windshield where the pillar on the driver's side seems to be a bit lower. could be because of the roof replacement?

here is the link to all the pictures of the car which will show the frame rails and the gaps under the door and everything else:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bwulczfipdm2dg2/AADDSToW66DznAxETomH-C7Ga?dl=0

let me know what your thoughts are and how do you think i should proceed. any help is greatly appreciated!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Worth Restoring?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
IMO, New panels installed wrong are not worth much. Unless the car is something you really want or something special, I would look around.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »
Is this the car with the MO block? It would have a LOT of proof it was a Z for me to tackle.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »
That is some of the worst bodywork I have ever seen. Complete butchery.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
Don't know what you have invested in the car.  The right people can fix it just depends on how much you want to put into it.   Did you notice it has a 10 bolt rear end?
Just read your other post, is this the car for $39K?
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

skoshkarli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »
no, the other post is for another car i want to buy, but have not done so. figured i should do my research first.

this car is a project a bought a while back and has been sitting. I'v been told different things by different people. I've had a guy come out and look at it and quote me 15k for body and paint and i've had guys tell me that they won't even touch it since its so messed up. another guy suggested i should get a new body and move the vin over.

i though of posting it here to see what people who actually dealt with these cars think. At this point, i am just thinking of selling it. Its got a 307 motor in it from a 70's chevy and a 4 speed and its an RS.

if i was to fix this body, do you think the 15k estimate is realistic for body and paint or will i be in it much more once they start doing work on it?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
I restore cars for a living. 15K is an unrealistic price. Everything they did needs to be removed. It also looks like the roof was sectioned. Sure, another hacker might do the job for 15K but you'll end up with a POS just as it is now. There are so many things done incorrectly it's ridiculous. I just finished redoing another shop's butchery but this car is worse. You could buy a completed car for far less money than restoring this heap. Best to buy a car from someone you know, or one that has had its build documented from bare metal to finish paint.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:12:44 PM by Sauron327 »

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
Scott has told you reality.

If you can do most of the "fixing" - plus body work and paint yourself (or with help from friends) then you MIGHT be into it reasonably with the result being a decent driver. But it would take ALOT of work. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

skoshkarli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
yeah i figure this was the case.

when i bought this car originally, i didnt know sh** about them, now i know alot more. Not the best way to learn but oh well. Thanks for the help guys!

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
yeah i figure this was the case.

when i bought this car originally, i didnt know sh** about them, now i know alot more. Not the best way to learn but oh well. Thanks for the help guys!

That is what they call "Automotive Tuition".  The cost is sometimes high to learn. Hit the books and you will graduate Suma Cum Camaro!
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

anything