Author Topic: New To Me Vinyl Top  (Read 4279 times)

Vince

• View Profile
New To Me Vinyl Top
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »
I just acquired a 1967 Camaro with a new vinyl top.  I have never had a car before with one.  Is it alright to use regular soap made for washing cars ( I usually use Eagle 1 or Mequiars brand) to wash the top too or is there a special wash intended for vinyl tops?  The Eagle 1 and Mequiars car washes do not say not for use on vinyl tops, but I just want to be safe.  Also for a vinyl protectant is using the same kind as one would use for interior vinyl work fine for the top too or does the vinyl top need a stronger or different type protectant as it gets so much more sun, dirt, ozone exposure than any vinyl interior does?  Thanks guys. 

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: New To Me Vinyl Top
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
Vince, it should be fine to wash the top with Eagle 1 or Mequiars. But I personally highly recommend using 303 Convertible,  Vinyl Top and Tonneau Cleaner. It is manufactured or at least distributed by Gold Eagle Co. out of Chicago, IL. It was originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications. 303 claims to protect against UV rays. Just to be clear, the box states NOT FOR FABRIC CONVERTIBLE TOPS (CANVAS) OR UNFINISHED LEATHERS (SUCH AS SUEDE). I use it and would never use anything else. Totally satisfied. But, also; keep in mind that you need to use a pretty soft brush to clean a vinyl top and not try to exert a lot of pressure when doing so. Best to clean it twice or more if it is very dirty or soiled. By the way, I have a 67 with a black vinyl roof. My wife actually found it at walmart.com and they had the lowest price. She ordered the two bottle system. A bottle of their cleaner and a bottle of the protectant all in one package. Do a search for it and see if it might be of interest to you. Hope this helps.
J.R.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »
Thank you J.R.; I'll look for some of that. 

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
X2 on 303. Or look for boat vinyl cleaner and treatment.
And don't forget to blow dry around the back window especially. Vinyl tops do bring that infamous back window rust.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Dave Siltman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
I was gonna recommend the 303, but was late to the show. Great stuff! You didn't mention what color the top it is, but if it is white, don't let it get too dirty; repeated use of harsh cleansing will dry out the vinyl and cause premature cracking. As a kid, my first '69 Camaro had a black top (Azure Turquoise w/ Black top, hockey stick and seats) and I used to treat it with a product made especially for black vinyl tops....can't remember the brand, but it was a black paste that really left a nice sheen and wouldn't run down the sides if the car got wet (remember I was a kid living at home with no garage). Also, try to make sure your top is clean and the inside of your car-cover is clean before you put it away.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
It is a black vinyl top.  I plan on using the 303 on it.  Thanks guys for the recommendations.

anything