Author Topic: Black Tail Panel on Big Block Cars  (Read 2466 times)

Vince

• View Profile
Black Tail Panel on Big Block Cars
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
When the factory painted the tail panel on big block cars black was the tail panel first painted the body color with the black then painted on top of it, or was the tail panel sealed off when the body was painted and the black then applied over primer?  I am looking at a 1967 SS RS with the L35 396 where the black tail panel is faded with traces of the Bolero Red paint showing thru it.  I am trying to decide if it is original paint or not.  In my own mind I am thinking that if it was repainted the black probably was applied over the old black or primer, not the body color red.  Am I thinking incorrectly here?  I haven't seen the car in person yet, only pictures.  Seller doesn't know for sure if it has been repainted or not. 

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Black Tail Panel on Big Block Cars
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
 The tail panel was painted first with body color then masked later during blackout.
When I restored my 67 L35 convertible it had body color paint under the black out.
On my still original paint 67 coupe, in areas that the tail blackout is chipped around the trunk opening, there is body color under that.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Vince

• View Profile
Re: Black Tail Panel on Big Block Cars
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Thank you Mike.  That is what I was hoping.

anything