Author Topic: JohnZ's '69 Z/28  (Read 44493 times)

dale_z28

• View Profile
Re: JohnZ's '69 Z/28
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
<<Wow! Great find, beautiful car! Ours were 530 apart on the line, and our brithdays are a day apart, too. Would love a couple pics of the lap belts (as bolted to the floor next to the console). Mine now have a twist (when worn) that I don't believe was there pre-restoration.>>

Photo below is the driver's side lap belt stack, which has never been touched - I haven't noted any "twist"
Thank you! I need to pull the bolts and do some rearranging to get mine straight. I think my assembly guy wanted to put the tags toward each other so they weren't standing out.
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 01:37:44 PM »
Beautiful car for sure!  It's so nice to be able to see these rare unmolested cars after all the years that have passed.
I'm trying to study some of these option packages and learn the details of them.  Since this car is an X33, it has the Z21 style trim option (I think).
Are the door edge guards somehow part of that?, or a separate option?, or maybe just a dealer add-on?
Also from what I gather the Z21 should have the rear quarter louver accents and it looks like maybe this car doesn't have them?  The side view wasn't direct, so I may not be seeing them.

Help a newbie out! :)

John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 03:38:59 PM »
Beautiful car for sure!  It's so nice to be able to see these rare unmolested cars after all the years that have passed.
I'm trying to study some of these option packages and learn the details of them.  Since this car is an X33, it has the Z21 style trim option (I think).
Are the door edge guards somehow part of that?, or a separate option?, or maybe just a dealer add-on?
Also from what I gather the Z21 should have the rear quarter louver accents and it looks like maybe this car doesn't have them?  The side view wasn't direct, so I may not be seeing them.

Help a newbie out! :)

p

See reply #2 on page 1 of this thread, which explains why the quarter panel louvers (and the Camaro nameplate on the fender) are missing; the quarter louvers are part of Z21, which is part of every X33 car. The door edge guards were part of the Appearance Guard Group, and could be ordered separately (as they were on this car) as RPO B93.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 03:29:43 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I thought I read every word of the thread, but obviously I missed that sentence.
It takes cars like this to understand the option descriptions.  Looking at cars on ebay, etc., so many changes have taken place over the years that most of those cars are a poor reference as to what was original and what wasn't.

Thanks again,  John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »
Beautiful car sir

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 01:19:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing all the detailed pics John!   Very much appreciated and excellent reference material.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

NAPA68

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
What a find! Congrats!

I too..................love all of the detail photo's

Tim

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 04:39:53 AM »
These pics show the cowl tag, the green "T" below it, the acorn nuts on the rearward rear spoiler attachments and the stud-and-sealer nuts on the forward rear spoiler attachments. This car was built about two weeks before the "short" rear spoiler disappeared.

Always great to see pics of your car John.   John was very helpful to me several times during the resto of my 10 10 Z/28.   I am wondering if the original owner had the cowl area touched up when he did the other touch up.   Mine had a lot of white (stirpe color) paint on top of the cowl, with some overspray on the firewall.  I notice yours is body color instead of stripe color.  I also realize our cars are almost 6 mos. apart, and that the procedure could have changed over time.

I have some pics of what it looked like originally somewhere.   I also have a pic of how I replicated it during the resto.

Thanks again for all you do for this hobby.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 04:41:48 AM »
Pic during resto.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
These pics show the cowl tag, the green "T" below it, the acorn nuts on the rearward rear spoiler attachments and the stud-and-sealer nuts on the forward rear spoiler attachments. This car was built about two weeks before the "short" rear spoiler disappeared.

Always great to see pics of your car John.   John was very helpful to me several times during the resto of my 10 10 Z/28.   I am wondering if the original owner had the cowl area touched up when he did the other touch up.   Mine had a lot of white (stirpe color) paint on top of the cowl, with some overspray on the firewall.  I notice yours is body color instead of stripe color.  I also realize our cars are almost 6 mos. apart, and that the procedure could have changed over time.

I have some pics of what it looked like originally somewhere.   I also have a pic of how I replicated it during the resto.

Thanks again for all you do for this hobby.

Lynn -

I'm sure the original owner did or had some touch-up done to cover the white stripe overspray typically seen in the open cowl area, as there is none visible.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »
You stated that the master cylinder was sleeved, what's the status of the brake hoses and lines?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
You stated that the master cylinder was sleeved, what's the status of the brake hoses and lines?

The brake flex hoses (safety item) were replaced ten years ago, lines were nicely protected by the original dealer-installed undercoating (very common on Canadian-delivered cars of that era).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

NAPA68

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
I just spent some time looking through this thread again. First.............I just love this car. LOVE IT! Secondly, to John and the others that spend the time showing the details of these original cars.................THANK YOU!

I'm sure I can speak for others here, we learn a ton from these threads and pics.

Tim

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2020, 02:50:41 AM »
John, I have a question about the paint on the underside of the cowl hood behind the flapper valve. this is the area of the hood that you see from inside the car. Is this area painted body color or left black like under the rest of the hood?
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown
67 camaro modified ls1,6 speed, 9 "rear

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2020, 03:29:13 PM »
Bill, John no longer owns the car. And he might not know the answer to your question.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything