Author Topic: 1969 Pace Car  (Read 3239 times)

Jim Hinman

• View Profile
1969 Pace Car
« on: July 03, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
I recently acquired a 1969 Z11 Pace Car.  The car has been owned by the last owners since "around" 1979.  It was parked in their garage in 2001.  In general the car is rust free except the trunk.  The body has numerous small dings but no significant damage.  The numbers of all components match except the water pump.  I have pulled the motor for a rebuild since the previous owner said it was real tired when parked. 

My question is how much should I do and how much should I keep as a survivor?
     -should I just thoroughly clean the engine bay or paint and restore?
     -body dings?
     -overall paint?
     -trunk rusted out section?
     -gas tank?
     -convertible top?
     -etc

Thanks for any input.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:28:18 PM »
some photos would help us to better answer your question...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »
The hobby has gone through a number of phases. Maybe 10-15 years ago the thing to do was to not only restore the car but make it far better than it was new. Cars were not merely painted they were endlessly primed/blocked/primed/blocked until flawless. Frames and undercarriage also. Striping was buried under clear coat. Brake boosters were so polished they looked gold plated. Engine bays were finished in glossy paint; bumpers show-chrome plated. The joke back then was if you brought a nice original to a show, it wouldn’t even place.

Took some time to realize that isn’t how they were built. Today those types of restorations are referred to as “prom queens” and “garage furniture.”

Today originality is King, even if there are some battle scars and rust. That stuff falls under the ‘patina’ umbrella and leaving it as-is will be admired.

As for your car:

Don’t paint anything! Carefully clean, even if it requires some disassembly. Safestrustremover can dissolve light rust without disturbing the underlying finish but you have to be careful with it.

Leave the dings, wash, and clay bar, carefully polish the paint. I hear DuPont #7 does wonders. Don’t use a buffer on it unless you really know what you are doing. 

Depends on how rusty the trunk is. If it is surface rust I’d deal with that. If there is a lot of perforation, holes, etc. I would have that section replaced. The gas tank is secured to the trunk floor so it needs to be structurally sound. Rusty/damaged fuel tanks aren’t worth repairing so I would replace it. They can and do rust through.

As for the top, does it ever need to be up? They can be cleaned but by now it is probably brittle. Also, the header bow is a commonly rusted out area on converts. May be better to leave as-is.

As for the engine, make sure the builder is on-board with the originality theme. You don’t want them replacing the carb, alternator and other components with generic parts-house stuff. Make sure they know not to deck the block during the rebuild and do not let them put hardened valve seats in it. Completely unnecessary.

Let’s see the photos.

Learning more and more about less and less...

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
I recently acquired a 1969 Z11 Pace Car.  The car has been owned by the last owners since "around" 1979.  It was parked in their garage in 2001.  In general the car is rust free except the trunk.  The body has numerous small dings but no significant damage.  The numbers of all components match except the water pump.  I have pulled the motor for a rebuild since the previous owner said it was real tired when parked. 

My question is how much should I do and how much should I keep as a survivor?
     -should I just thoroughly clean the engine bay or paint and restore?
     -body dings?
     -overall paint?
     -trunk rusted out section?
     -gas tank?
     -convertible top?
     -etc

Thanks for any input.

X2 to what William stated! Once something is painted its never how it was so careful cleaning to preserve and spend a lot of time documenting as you go to what you have. And have fun in the journey! Survivors (true ones) are the hot ticket and need to be preserved as much can be learned on how they came from the factory.
Welcome aboard!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:19:53 PM »
Need to add something-the car has to be road worthy. Perform a complete service on the car; check the brakes, re-pack wheel bearings, replace all the fluids. By now the lube in the U joints is 47 years old so service or replace them also.

Old brake hoses, decaying suspension components, original tires have to be replaced even if replacements don't look original. Common for steel brake and fuel lines to rust and fail. Save the old stuff if you like but don't leave them on the car.

Learning more and more about less and less...

ds1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »
There are paintless dent repair tools now.   The older metal is thicker, but patience can pay off in the end