Author Topic: Brake distribution valve - repair or replace ???  (Read 6883 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Brake distribution valve - repair or replace ???
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
This is probably a no brainer but I'll ask anyhow.

I am going to be sending my power brake booster and disc brake proportioning (hold off) valve from my '68 to Brakeboosters.com for rebuilding and refinishing.

I was going also send my distribution valve (pictured below) for refinishing only. Brakeboosters.com does not rebuild the distribution valves because of the difficulty in getting out the brass insert........All of these components are original to the car.

All the parts of my brake system that will have brake fluid passing through them will be new or rebuilt. I was concerned about 48 years of possible crud inside that distribution valve getting into the rest of the system if not cleaned out. It also hasn't had any brake fluid in it for the last eight years so I don't know if internal corrosion or rust might be a problem.

So my original questions were going to be......can the distribution valve be rebuilt?......or would it probably be OK just as it sits?......or should I just replace it?.....I am a stickler about keeping original parts whenever possible.

Those were my original questions but now I have a new monkey wrench in the gears. While removing the brake lines, I hit the terminal for the switch wire with the wrench and broke it off below the surface. See the photo

So all of the above being considered, is there any hope for my original distribution valve or is it trash now and needs to be replaced. I've never messed with one of these before so I have no idea what can or can't be fixed.

Thanks........Dave

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Brake distribution valve - repair or replace ???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:45:01 PM »
Just unscrew and replace the contact.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
Agreed.  Make sure there are no blockages and and paint it and roll on.  To my knowledge there is nothing to replace inside of those unless the brass is fubared..

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
 The brass seat is so easy to remove that I'm surprised Steve would not do it.  I've rebuilt mine and inside is a piston that has O-rings on it. The inside of my distribution block had crud inside but was easy to clean out and replace the O-rings. Then you use a brake line to press the brass seat back in.
  This link shows the kit: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/gm-pd-valve-kit-1
They also show how you can make the brass seat extractor by using a tap, long screw, flat washer and nut.
This is the link for that: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/brake-valve-seat-tool

Mike
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:22:11 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:08 PM »
See there I learned something.  Thanks mike!!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
  It was amazing how much shi......um....crud was inside those bodies though the outsides looked pretty good.
That included the pressure hold-off, distribution and pressure differential valve bodies. MCR makes kits for all three.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:49 AM »
Wow, I really thought my distribution block was toast but I guess it's not.

Thanks for all the info. Especially about the rebuild parts available from MCR. I am going to order them tomorrow.

Thanks again.....Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:41:41 PM »
See there I learned something.  Thanks mike!!
X3 Nice info Mike!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

daves87gn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 05:14:12 AM »
X4 Nice info Mike!
Dave, SoCal
1969 Camaro z/28 (x77) Cortez Silver, endura front bumper, deluxe black interior,Rosewood dash with no tach or console, m22, BV 4:10 rear

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:08:36 AM »
After looking at the rebuild kit and the picture of the switch terminal on the MCR website, I thought I was good to go.  That I could rebuild my distribution block and get a new switch terminal since I broke mine.

But the more I looked at the MCR site, I am thinking the picture of the switch terminal is just there for reference. I can't seem to find it for sale on the site.......Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Does anyone know if MCR has these or if they are available any place else? It's great that I can rebuild the block but without a switch terminal, it's still no good.

Thanks.....Dave

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:27 AM »
I don't see the switch only on their site either.  Maybe call him and find out if he knows where you might get one.  Closest I could find is this one for a '71. No idea if it would work: http://www.camarocentral.com/1971_1977_Camaro_Brake_Pro_Valve_Lead_Switch_p/brc-234.htm
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

sah62

• View Profile
    • Muscle Car Research LLC
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
After looking at the rebuild kit and the picture of the switch terminal on the MCR website, I thought I was good to go.  That I could rebuild my distribution block and get a new switch terminal since I broke mine.

But the more I looked at the MCR site, I am thinking the picture of the switch terminal is just there for reference. I can't seem to find it for sale on the site.......Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Does anyone know if MCR has these or if they are available any place else? It's great that I can rebuild the block but without a switch terminal, it's still no good.

Thanks.....Dave

Sorry, I don't sell the terminals. You might need to cannibalize one from another used valve.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Ford Mustang R-Code Mach 1
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 02:23:11 AM »
OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Dave