Author Topic: Powerglide problems?  (Read 5013 times)

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
Powerglide problems?
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:00:19 PM »
My 2spd glide is making intermitant noises when in park and doesn't always seem to lock into park (still rolls) when at a stop. It also wanted to move forward when first started in park. Once I get going it shifts great and doesn't slip at all. Any ideas???

thanx todd
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Powerglide problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 04:07:57 PM »
Sounds like a simple linkage adjustment is in order so the trans shift lever detents match the detent positions for the shift lever.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
I agree with John as I had the same problem when I reinstalled my "Glide in my '69 RS back in 2005.  Your current problem, most probably, is that when the shifter inside the car is in park, the shift lever on the side of the transmission is not fully engaged in the park position due to the cable not being adjusted prooperly.  The assembly manual has details, but as a start, if you haven't disturbed the original settings significantly, the following should get you in the ball park.

First, put the car on a level surface and chock the wheels.

Loosen the cable at the transmission lever on the side of the transmission.  Now double check that the shifter inside the car is in the full park and detent position.  Next, physically push the shift lever on the side of the transmisiison all the way into its park position.  Reconnect the cable.  It is important to make sure that both the transmission and the shifter are both in the full detent, park position when you make the final adjustment on the cable.  This should eliminate the intermittent noises and the tendency for the car to want to move in park.  Double check all other positions, R, N, D, L and make sure that when you pull the shifter into the detent position for a particular gear that the transmission lever is also in its detent position and not in between.  If you have an assembly manual, look carefully at section M35 in the RPO seciton in the back of the manual for the details and factory procedure for adjusting the cable.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:27:54 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
great advise i'll try that

Thanx T
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet