Author Topic: Power Brake Booster Valve: A Comparison between Original vs Reproduction  (Read 20294 times)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
I took a few side by side comparison pictures of a good reproduction and an original brake booster valves. This part is available @ http://www.johnsclassiccars.com/
Credit ZLP955 (Tim Stone) for telling me about this decent reproduction. The two most notable differences (to me) appear to be the depth of that small center hole. Repro is shallower. And, the outer lip or rim is a little deeper or thicker (evident in pic 2,diameter is ok though). I did not feel it necessary to use a caliper to illustrate, but will be happy to measure the parts dimensions, if some insist.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mike S

• View Profile
 I've seen that very accurate reproduction valve being sold is L.I. Corvette Supply too.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:05:14 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ZLP955

• View Profile
Good pictures to compare them Bentley. The only other difference I can make out is the lack of the 3 dots on the face of the repro check valve. They still look a lot better to me than the valves most of the usual vendors carry, and the ones commonly fitted when getting a booster restored.
Mike, I think you're correct and these might even be identical to those sold by Long Island Corvette Supply. If so, those are more than double the cost of these ($19 versus $8).
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

68camaroz28

• View Profile
That's a nice piece and agree its so much better and accurate looking than the ones that come with repro or restored units. My only and its a small issue is the pure white color. The one I'm using on our 68Z restoration came off a Delco Remy Engineering unit dated May, 1968 that was sent to Jerry Stahl (Stahl Headers), was never used, and just stored away. I purchased that unit when Jerry closed up shop and the valve in that unit has a light, very light tan looking color very similar to what is seen in survivors. One might think the heat of the engine and time dis-colored the valve but with a stored unit never used as I was lucky enough to obtain shows IMO that is how they were during that time period. That is not taking anything away from this one and have started to see some of them on restored cars but the pure white jumps out.
I had not checked on a source but good to know....  :D
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
A pic of that NOS valve that is more of a off white/very light tan plastic on our 68Z restoration.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

ZLP955

• View Profile
Chick I do agree that the fresh white would stand out and highlight the part as new, especially on a survivor. I've received a few suggestions from a restoration buddy (one of which was to make up a thick paste of instant coffee granules and apply that to the visible parts of the plastic valve for a while) so have some experiments to conduct over our winter, which is just around the corner. I'd rather leave it obviously new and white than ruin the part, but thought I'd try a few of the suggestions out on scrap plastic test pieces.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Mike S

• View Profile
 The coffee idea sound interesting. I may give it a shot, but hold the milk and sugar  ;)
 It sure stains teeth easy enough.

Mike

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Power Brake Booster Valve: A Comparison between Original vs Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
Digging this thread up again as there was a recent discussion about check valves, and I realised I hadn't updated this with my experiment to impart some 'aged color' to the very white reproduction that Bentley originally posted pics of.
So - this is the comparison. The valve on the right was the result of soaking in a zip-lok bag containing a strong coffee. I started off leaving it for 24 hours, but it barely took on any of the color; this picture is after about a week in the bag. The artificial lighting makes it contrast heavily against the as-purchased repro on the left, and appear maybe a little too dark, but in natural light it looked very much like an original on a friend's car.
Still lacking the patina of a used original, but when installed, far less obvious as a repro to me. In hindsight, I would have removed it a day or two sooner, but being honest I got sidetracked and forgot it  ::)
Interested in opinions!

Tim in Australia.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »
I like it! I will have to try it on one of my white repro parts. thx

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »
Tim,

HA! No wonder coffee drinkers don't have ultra white teeth. Any worries about the coffee effecting the rubber check valve? I assume you didn't seal the ends judging from no signs of the ends being blocked off.
Great method!

Mike

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »
Here is an original of mine that had undercoating sprayed all over the exposed areas somewhat protecting it's surface, contrasted with the darker part where the hose attached. This gives some credence to Chick's statement in the other thread, saying these valves were white (referring to his new valve and booster he acquired from Jere Stahl). I do not ever think these valves were as white as the repros, but lighter than we may have pictured in our mind's eye. Picture taken in natural light.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »
Tim your pics showing the coffee experiment are great. I think it turned out just right. I would run it on my car.
So what brand of coffee was that?.... :P ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »
You forgot to ask what the scoop ratio was for the coffee, the temperature of the water, humidity, was it filtered water, water content percentages of Fluorine compounds,Trihalomethanes (THMs), Salts of: arsenic, radium, aluminium, copper, lead, mercury, cadmium, barium, Hormones, Nitrates and Pesticides.

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
You forgot to ask what the scoop ratio was for the coffee, the temperature of the water, humidity, was it filtered water, water content percentages of Fluorine compounds,Trihalomethanes (THMs), Salts of: arsenic, radium, aluminium, copper, lead, mercury, cadmium, barium, Hormones, Nitrates and Pesticides.
Now, THAT is the kind of answer I like!   Not to mention altitude at which this "seasoning" was done? lol
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
Now, THAT is the kind of answer I like!   Not to mention altitude at which this "seasoning" was done? lol

None of this matters, Tim is in the Southern Hemisphere!  The results will be different in the Northern Hemisphere!  ;)

Paul