Author Topic: Speedo Clip - Original?  (Read 5123 times)

Hans L

• View Profile
Speedo Clip - Original?
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
The other day, I was preparing install a new speedometer cable and clips on the car.  I thought I was missing 2 clips as I only had the original style from the firewall.  However, when I retrieved the original speedometer cable, it had a very different clip still attached.   See attached photos.   Any chance this is original and the plant opted to use this style clip in lieu of the other style?   

The only evidence I have that it could be original is that the hole in the tunnel for this clip is quite different than the hole of for the AIM style clip.   It's smaller, and it's clear a sheet metal screw was used to attach it vs the other style which is pinched in.

For reference - '69 Van Nuys built Z, M22 trans, 04B prod date.

Speedometer Cable with clip still attached:

Close-up:

Tunnel Holes for clips:

Original clip attached to firewall:

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:29:08 AM by Hans L »
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
Re: Speedo Clip - Original?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:34:00 AM »
The last pic shows an original style clip.  The first clip shows something from a hardware store.  The original style reproduction clips aren't the greatest quality.  I go for the hardware store version with a tapered plastic nut insert.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
I wouldn't say hardware store clip for the first one. It looks more like an original brake or fuel line clip. The bottom one is definitely the original style.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
I originally discounted the clip as an aftermarket add as well.  It is a metal clip.     The only thing that got me thinking is that the lower hole in the tunnel is smaller than the other two holes (on the firewall where the original clip is and the second hole near the top of the tunnel).   It also clearly used a screw to secure the clip as opposed to being "pressed in and expanded" as the other clips do...

Anway, no biggie.  Just found it interesting.   Surely not a normative practice if someone at the plant installed that clip instead of the normal production clip. 

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
The shape of how it's bent tells me single fuel line or brake line clip. Here's a pic of my original speedo clip and a double fuel line clip. It’s just slightly bigger than a single:

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »
I originally discounted the clip as an aftermarket add as well.  It is a metal clip.     The only thing that got me thinking is that the lower hole in the tunnel is smaller than the other two holes (on the firewall where the original clip is and the second hole near the top of the tunnel).   It also clearly used a screw to secure the clip as opposed to being "pressed in and expanded" as the other clips do...

Anway, no biggie.  Just found it interesting.   Surely not a normative practice if someone at the plant installed that clip instead of the normal production clip. 

X2 to what Dave just stated. Hans, the 2nd picture is for sure what was used on all cars I've noted but that does not rule out at the factory a gas line clip was used for some reason. I worked 40 years in manufacturing and in assembly a lot of things happen from time to time. The good news is what is normally seen you have 100% correct.....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »

X2 to what Dave just stated. Hans, the 2nd picture is for sure what was used on all cars I've noted but that does not rule out at the factory a gas line clip was used for some reason. I worked 40 years in manufacturing and in assembly a lot of things happen from time to time. The good news is what is normally seen you have 100% correct.....

Yep.   I'll go with what's correct.   Now gotta go find a couple of those correct clips.  The reproductions I purchased are not correct...ugh.