Author Topic: Front Spoiler  (Read 6467 times)

Snookerman

• View Profile
Front Spoiler
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »
Most of the 69 Camaros I have seen have a front (and rear) spoiler.  Does the front spoiler have any real functional value for cooling or handling, or it is simply for aesthetic value?  Thanks.   :)

Snookerman
Gary

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Front Spoiler
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:47:13 PM »
Excellent question!

Car Life wondered also and tested 3 cars with and without spoilers in the June 1969 issue; a Z/28, GTO Judge, Javelin. The Javelin spoiler did nothing, the GTO rear spoiler increased front lift.

Only the Z/28 spoilers actually worked, the best configuration being front only.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 12:36:43 AM »
Somewhere, recently, that article and the test graphs were reprinted on the 'Net.  As William stated, the best configuration was actually to only have the front spoiler.  This makes perfect sense when you think of the relatively blunt front nose of the 1st gen Camaro.  A lot of air gets packed into the engine compartment and under the car once you get much above 70-80 mph, creating a significant amount of front end lift.  Adding the rear spoiler adds downforce to the rear at the expense of creating additional front end lift (same problem as the GTO rear spoiler only).

Consequently, for the best handling characteristics, the article showed that this would be accomplished by adding only the front spoiler and leaving the rear spoiler off of the car.  However, esthetically, both spoilers definitely look better than front only.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:46:14 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 05:33:44 PM »
Here is an article on the spoiler option. Scroll down the page to find the article.

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/articles/article_fs.htm
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
Very interesting article.  I didn't actually know that Chevy Engineers did that much research into the aerodynamica of our F-bodies.  COOL ! ;D

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
Very interesting article.  I didn't actually know that Chevy Engineers did that much research into the aerodynamica of our F-bodies.  COOL ! ;D

Steve

Remember, it was a racing item for the Trans Am guys. Chevy wanted to kick butt.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
No help on a drag car.  Have taken the front and rear off at different events and there was no difference in ET or mph.  This is an NHRA Stock Eliminator Z28 that runs 120-123 mph.

Jerry

anything