Author Topic: Worn Column shift lever.  (Read 5458 times)

paulmanta

• View Profile
Worn Column shift lever.
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
Does anyone have a good idea or solution for the problem of a worn  gear selector lever on a column change ?

Mine has been sloppy for a while and you don't need to pull the lever back to select between Low, D, N and R only to get the trans out of park.

I took it apart and cleaned it all out and spotted the problem is wear and chipping to the edge of the stepped part that engages with the ring.  The lever can sort of bump itself between the lock teeth.

Below is a picture of the ring and the stepped end. I can find a single vendor selling either the ring or the lever with stepped end anywhere. 

Car is a fairly early 67 with a  327 and Powerglide, all original and never been fiddled with until now.

EDIT:  I cant seem to add pictures right now because of a fault with Photobucket, when it stops "having a moment" I will pop a pic on here. Sorry about that.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:41:13 PM by paulmanta »

paulmanta

• View Profile
Re: Worn Column shift lever.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
Now I have a different computer in front of me I can get this to load up ! 

More looking last night for suppliers for a new lever but I cannot find a single place, even ebay !

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
Lots of people have pulled this part and installed a floor shift.
I'd put an add on Team Camaro and watch ebay for a used one.

I'm not seeing how wear could allow it to go into reverse - that's a big step. But I don't have the assembly in hand to see it better....
Kurt S
CRG

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »
Could you have someone add some weld to the problem areas, then file it to the desired shape?  - Warren

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:20:13 AM »
The last swap meet I was at there was a pretty nice 67 Camaro automatic steering column for $15.  I thought about getting it, but already had a bunch of stuff to carry and was about 3/4 of a mile from my truck.  If I find another one, I will let you know. But it should not be that hard to fine one.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
When looking for some early Camaro parts, one has to sometimes think outside the box. Novas are more likely to have column shifts (I believe 68s still had dash ign. key), so do not rule the Nova sites out if looking for a column. Before comments are made about column interchangeability, I am just guessing at this point that they are the same, if not close. I am not for certain if later column mounted ignition key shifter parts (internal parts in column)will interchange either, but I would be willing to bet that the detent parts pictured are the same. If you just want that detent piece pictured, I would venture to say that many if not all GM products of the same era (Powerglide) would share the same detent. If that is the case and that information can be ascertained through research, I have a 69 Buick PG column I could help you with.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

random_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 12:54:10 PM »
Does anyone have a good idea or solution for the problem of a worn  gear selector lever on a column change ?

Mine has been sloppy for a while and you don't need to pull the lever back to select between Low, D, N and R only to get the trans out of park.

I took it apart and cleaned it all out and spotted the problem is wear and chipping to the edge of the stepped part that engages with the ring.  The lever can sort of bump itself between the lock teeth.

Below is a picture of the ring and the stepped end. I can find a single vendor selling either the ring or the lever with stepped end anywhere. 

Car is a fairly early 67 with a  327 and Powerglide, all original and never been fiddled with until now.

EDIT:  I cant seem to add pictures right now because of a fault with Photobucket, when it stops "having a moment" I will pop a pic on here. Sorry about that.

Mine is pretty sloppy on my 68 with a 327 and Powerglide.  Let me know what you figure out.

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »

random_guy
Mine is pretty sloppy on my 68 with a 327 and Powerglide.  Let me know what you figure out.
[/quote]

You responded to a topic that is over 5 years old. You may not get an answer to your reponse.

- Warren

anything