Author Topic: Muncie Shifter running production changes  (Read 5037 times)

TangoBravo

• View Profile
Muncie Shifter running production changes
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on what the assembly lines were up to with the shift rod "Spacer" additions on some of the shift rods? The Muncie 4 speed started putting a washer on the rear side of the swivel on the 3-4 rod and it looks like the Saginaw 4 speed may have had one added to the 1-2 rod. The 3 speed shows one on the 2-3 rod. It is interesting that they carried this over to 1969 production on the base 3 and 4 speed transmissions that had Muncie shifters also. There is no indication this was done on any 67 production.
What in the world were they up to with this???

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Muncie Shifter running production changes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
I will have to take a look at the assembly manuals.

My guess would be the washers would help with some of the "slop" those shifters had in the linkage. :)

I even run washers with my aftermarket Hurst shifter.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if they were actually put on each of the rods and used to help avoid torque loading the rod when the rear nut was tightened to adjust the length. But the part is listed as a "Spacer" and only drawn up on one of the rods??? Seems to make no sense.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if they were actually put on each of the rods and used to help avoid torque loading the rod when the rear nut was tightened to adjust the length. But the part is listed as a "Spacer" and only drawn up on one of the rods??? Seems to make no sense.
The part number is indeed only noted on one rod but it appears to me that it is drawn in on all three of the rods.....kinda faint but it seems to be there.  I have a collection of Muncie shifters and rods and one set has the spacer on all three rods. 
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:46:50 AM »
I think I have an idea here- what if the shifter was hitting the front of the console shifter plate when going into reverse, first or third gear position? By adding a "Spacer" you could move the shifter handle back enough to clear the console plate.

On second thought, this would not be beneficial since both adjustment nuts are movable--
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:20:21 AM by TangoBravo »

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:38:21 AM »
I think I have an idea here- what if the shifter was hitting the front of the console shifter plate when going into reverse, first or third gear position? By adding a "Spacer" you could move the shifter handle back enough to clear the console plate.

On second thought, this would not be beneficial since both adjustment nuts are movable--
Yup....with the transmission levers in neutral position and the alignment rod inserted into the shifter gates the nuts on the swivel can be in only one position for perfect alignment.  Putting the spacer behind the swivel just moves the nut back while the swivel is still in it's same alignment state.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:59 PM »
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Now I understand the "spacer" you were talking about.  This is part number 3941824 (at least in 1968).  It may have been an attempt to help the nuts that lock the swivel in place from backing off.  But as for the definitive reason, I do not know.

Spacer is labeled as 11 on page M20 A3 of the 1968 AIM.

On the image of the rod ends below, the rod showing more threads at the end is a 68 big block Muncie 3/4 rod. The other rod is unknown at this time, but possibly 70-72 Camaro small block Muncie.

(Text above changed because pic orientation seems to change based on whether viewed on a of versus smart phone).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:07:23 PM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »
The only thing that I can see that a spacer would do, is move the nut rearward more. Maybe this was done so there was more clearance from the shifters levers and the nut could be more easily accessed for tightening it??

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
I think they used more then one vendor for the Muncie shifter parts
There are some differences such as the "T" that is stamped on some chrome levers but not all

I have also seen that washer on some Chevelle Muncie shift rods but not all

anything