Author Topic: Did some GM employees get their Camaro built better/special?  (Read 5176 times)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Did some GM employees get their Camaro built better/special?
« on: March 12, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
Where I live, about 40 miles East of the former Norwood plant, I often meet ex employees of Norwood(either side of the plant) and the Fisher stamping plant in Hamilton, Oh., as well. I usually start the conversation asking if they like old cars or Camaros. I have met several guys this way. I met one guy who did the roof leading, then got promoted to windshields. Another, put on door panels, and so forth others have shared their Camaro experiences.

Recently, I met a guy who lives close to me. He was a traveling Representative for the Hamilton Fisher stamping plant. He went on to tell me that he ordered a coupe in the '67 model year. This is where he piqued my interest. He told me when the car was built, several "extras" were done to his car. I have no reason to disbelieve him and his mind was vivid and sharp. He told me that although the car was a coupe, they built it with convertible rockers and put the stiffener brace underneath the car as well. He also told me that the paint and finish were Way above the typical line car and personal inspections were done at several points on the line. Now, I am not trying to start folklore here, but has anyone else known an employee of GM to get such treatment other than Detroit Brass like Knudsen, Estes,et al.?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did some GM employees get their Camaro built better/special?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:57:11 PM »
In my opinion, it is possible.

JohnZ would be the best person to give an answer though in my opinion.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:43 AM »
He may have known the schedulers and it is possible that the order was tagged and treated special for paint.
The inspectors at different areas would have to sign off on the car - thus special features are much less likely.

I've talked to guys like this. When you ask how did you know the car had special inspections and you get a blank look.

I did have an order once kicked back for a new car. It was the end of the year and the buildout was already scheduled. I contacted the plant directly and got my car in the schedule - nice to have connections back then.
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »

JohnZ would be the best person to give an answer though in my opinion.

Having spent 38 years in assembly plants and knowing how every element of the scheduling and production systems worked in the 60's, I treat 99% of these "stories" as "fairy tales". I know of more people who lost their jobs trying to fool the General than anyone who did it successfully. These "tales" make interesting reading, but you have to take them with a HUGE dose of salt; most of them are simply impossible.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »
They used to build Thunderbirds and partial assembly of E250's  ( final assembly in Avon Lake, about 10 miles away, hence the tag longest assembly line) along with ships, cranes, steel production, largest seamless pipe in my city...maybe 250(and shrinking) good paying industry jobs left, with a 68K population. Anyway, only tails that would float around were seeing the vehicle when it rolled off the line, or possibly a little more QC from buddies in the plant. And never buy a car built on Mondays or Fridays.

Growing up I was literally surrounded within a 15 mile radius with automotive production, never heard lore of special paint, etc.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Does anyone really think that if they had buddies on the plant that would take care of you and give your new car a little extra attention and maybe a freebie or two that convertible rockers on a coupe would be on anyones list of must have additions to a car.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »
I know for a fact that these scenarios did occur in assembly plants but were, admittedly, very rare.  One of my dad's friends worked at the local Chevrolet assembly plant and had his '66 Chevelle Malibu equipped with seat material from the Caprice models.  It was an intricate woven cloth fabric and from my research was not an RPO.  The vehicle survives today, is still in the owner's family and is in very good original condition. The original owner pampered the car and it never saw a Midwest winter.  One of the best survivor cars I've ever seen. And no it's not for sale. If it was, it would be in my garage.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
Based on what I have read regarding the build operation, I don't see how this sort of thing could be done without screwing up the works.
Jimmy V.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
I know for a fact that these scenarios did occur in assembly plants but were, admittedly, very rare.  One of my dad's friends worked at the local Chevrolet assembly plant and had his '66 Chevelle Malibu equipped with seat material from the Caprice models.  It was an intricate woven cloth fabric and from my research was not an RPO.  The vehicle survives today, is still in the owner's family and is in very good original condition. The original owner pampered the car and it never saw a Midwest winter.  One of the best survivor cars I've ever seen. And no it's not for sale. If it was, it would be in my garage.

I would like to see some pics of the car.  Especially the interior.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016