Author Topic: Fisher VS Norwood  (Read 3857 times)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Fisher VS Norwood
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »
I know parts, but assembly line practices, not so much. James mentioned in the interior thread and I will attempt to get this in a quote,
It's because the front carpet set and steering column were both installed at Chevrolet Assembly not at Fisher.
. Hey, it worked!

I never knew that the front carpet was installed by the Chevrolet side. There is no mention in the AIM. It was probably 'placed' in the car by Fisher, but 'installed' by Chevy? I had been under the impression that the whole interior/dash was ready to go by the time it got to Chevy side. Now, I know better because the AIM has several interior operations, including the whole dash cluster and heater assembly. Will someone give a description (brief) of what the car would have and not have as it arrived to the Chevrolet line so readers can visualize the car at that point?   ...and I apologize if this has already been covered. I know there is much written on the assembly process. I just don't recall myself being able to picture in my mind how a car arrived at the Chev. Assembly (other than the cowl panel being hung in the pass. window).
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher VS Norwood
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Front carpeting is shown in UPC 1 page C3.
Learning more and more about less and less...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
I know parts, but assembly line practices, not so much. James mentioned in the interior thread and I will attempt to get this in a quote,
It's because the front carpet set and steering column were both installed at Chevrolet Assembly not at Fisher.
. Hey, it worked!

I never knew that the front carpet was installed by the Chevrolet side. There is no mention in the AIM. It was probably 'placed' in the car by Fisher, but 'installed' by Chevy? I had been under the impression that the whole interior/dash was ready to go by the time it got to Chevy side. Now, I know better because the AIM has several interior operations, including the whole dash cluster and heater assembly. Will someone give a description (brief) of what the car would have and not have as it arrived to the Chevrolet line so readers can visualize the car at that point?   ...and I apologize if this has already been covered. I know there is much written on the assembly process. I just don't recall myself being able to picture in my mind how a car arrived at the Chev. Assembly (other than the cowl panel being hung in the pass. window).

It's covered in detail in my Assembly Process paper - the "Fisher Trim Shop" section covers what they installed inside and outside the painted body shell and their final water test, and the Chevrolet Trim-Chassis-Final section covers everything from the receipt of the painted and trimmed body shell from Fisher to the shipping gate. Every part you see in the Assembly Manual was installed by Chevrolet, and conversely, every part you DON'T see in the Assembly Manual was installed by Fisher Body.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:19:11 PM »
I am sorry John. I will go back and re-read that assembly process. Seems there is only so much information I can retain. After I wrote this John, I realized just as you say, anything in the AIM was done on Chevrolet side. I just pictured a finished interior for some reason. I pulled out the AIM and there it was, carpet,steering column,dash,etc...
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
Three lashes with a wet noodle for Bentley!!  :)    J/K

Don't fret too much Bentley; that report has a helluva lot of information in it and I (for one) have missed critical things many time on a first (or even a second reading).. and I'm sure I will continue to do so.. :)    Some paragraphs reference specifically a half dozen different operations that are sometimes critical to us in trying to answer our own, or someone else's questions.. :)

And I add my Thanks to JohnZ (again) for taking the time to write/review/edit such a wonderful document for we 'Camaro wannabes'.. :)

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
It seems logical to me that the dash, console, etc would be by Chevrolet. These would depend on the drive train configuration of the completed car, ie, tach, gauges, automatic, manual, etc. A lot of parts and combinations that would somehow have to be broadcast to and stocked by Fisher.
Jimmy V.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:45:11 PM »
I have read and studied the assembly process paper in detail 20 times minimum and I still get stuff wrong.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything