Author Topic: New pipes are next: Any opinions?  (Read 14244 times)

dale_z28

• View Profile
New pipes are next: Any opinions?
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
Ok, we're now almost ready for the exhaust system. I know my car didn't come with chambered, and I've spoken with Eric Gardner and his recommendation is what Gardner Exhaust  calls a "deep tone" with the dual-inlet/outlet muffler hanging parallel to the axle. This is actually what my car had on it when I bought it, but at the time I hated it. Keep in mind I was a kid, and I wanted my first car to command attention. With cherry bombs and a lead foot, it did!
Now I want a good sound, but not so loud we can't converse in the car at highway speeds (which Eric told me would be difficult with chambered pipes, dang it!). So....I'm opening the door, who recommends what? I'd like to stay pretty close to something original, but a balance - or X pipe - isn't out of the question.  I should add: I'm going to run Hooker Super Competition headers
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: New pipes are next: Any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
I have flowmaster installed 13 years ago, still sound great, didn't cost much, and he used the original hangers. I would do them again.

Andy

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:05:11 PM »
If you don't want OEM Gardner stuff, then my favorite F/X-body system to run is the transverse setup from Pypes.   It's all stainless steel, has an "X" cross over, it's all 2 1/2" and mandrel bends.  For just a hair over $500 at Summit you can't go wrong for a complete stainless system.
   This system was worth 3 tenths and 3 mph on my Firebird over the stock Gardner system.  I run this system on 4 different cars.  No drone, it's not obnoxiously loud at all, actually very quiet inside the car, and when you step on the pedal it makes enough noise to be noticed, but still not obnoxious.  Even gets approval from my wife  ;D

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sgf70/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro 

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
If it has your wife's approval, I need to check it out! That would also save me about $700 over the Gardner system
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
Gardner systems are nice to look at but are power killers as were the stock systems. I like the Flow Master systems best. I have a 70 L78 Nova with manifolds and a Garner cross flow system and it runs like a turd.
But the 67 and 69Z with Flow Masters are a blast.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
I ran the Flowmaster Force II tranverse system on a car for a while, I liked it well enough.   One thing to keep in mind with these, Flowmaster no longer sells the Force II system and now only sell the American Thunder transverse version which is much louder.   

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Hooker headers with 2.5" exhaust, x pipe & Pypes crossflow muffler exiting in stock location.  396 with baby cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ONw47qZ2uc

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
 Has anyone bought a system from The Parts Place? They have what looks like correctly bent pipes with the ripples and correct diameter and offer a deep tone configuration.  That may be an option for a driver/show car. I'm eyeing one of those aluminumized systems they sell to replace the SS system I put on my car in the mid-80's (one pipe taps the convertible floor brace). I'm trying to get resonators but so far no luck, unless the Firebird resonators fit Camaro.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »
Hung a Flowmaster Transverse (American Thunder)system on the car some time ago, behind Hooker Super Comps.

I love the sweet sound of open headers, so not obnoxious enough for me! Seriously now, big improvement over the Cherry Bombs that were on it, nice not getting CO poisoning at idle, I feel more power(seat of the pant) Low choppy sound at idle ( see Cook's vid). Must agree with Pypes though, cannot go wrong for a stainless system at that price. Have not read any negatives fit and function.

Have read the data: chamfered exhaust killed power. Surprised the 2.25" inch transverse system actually made more.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 03:03:06 PM »
Meant to say "felt", this was a few years back. Personally, on the bubble what's going back under mine when it's all bolted back together. Like X33, more of an "event" guy than "show".
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

CDB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
So the consensus for upgrading first gen brakes is that Gardner will have the stock look, but they'll be a power loss (as were the stock exhausts)?

That's kind of disappointing, but I guess it makes sense.

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
I guess it's only a power loss if you are going back to an original type Gardner system from a 'performance' system.  If you are out to get every last bit of power out of the engine, then go with a high-flow system.  If you are more of a 'correct' exhaust guy, then get the Gardner system.  I don't think the engine will feel restricted or held back by the stock type exhaust.  I have the Gardner system and my little L30 327 seems to have plenty of power!
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »
From what I recall JohnZ telling us once, the 'factory chambered system' allowed 7 hp less than the alternative Z28 system that was being considered (I assume when the '69 Z28 was being developed/finalized).  I also assume the 'alternative Z28' system was the single transverse muffler (no resonators)...  Marketing made the decision to make the chambered system std on Z28, over objections from engineering.  After a few months, due to the noise issues in some states, the chambered system ws replaced by the single transverse muffler (no resonators) on new Z28s.   Only very late in the year were the resonators added to further quieten the exhaust, again due to issues in a couple of states.  After hearing this, and finding out my car production was too late in the year for chambered, I decided to sell the NOS chambered system I'd had for 30+ yrs...

PS.  I DO love the sound from the stock chambered exhaust which is comparable to the side exhaust from mid year Corvettes...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
Here's a little different approach I took on the Z28.   I want to extract what is there out of the engine, but want to keep the stock appearance.  My Z still has it's born with exhaust system and just looking at the design, the crush bends, 2 1/4" head pipes etc... I knew I didn't want to stick with it.

I want mandrel bends, 2 1/2 inch, but still retain the transverse muffler.  Usually I go straight for the Pypes system.  But there was a catch for me in this case.   It's important to me to keep the stock appearance so I'm going to incorporate a new set of the factory 2" tail pipes.  I just prefer the appearance of those stock pipes out back.     However, Pypes transverse muffler exits are opposite from the factory setup.  I went searching.

Found that Dynomax makes a nice looking 2 1/2" mandrel bent system with an "H" pipe and uses the transverse muffler sold under the Thrush line.   Uses a Dynomax Turbo muffler that has conventional outlets at the top of the muffler like the OEM system.  With a simple reducer I can attach the stock tailpipes without much fuss and retain the stock appearance at the rear of the car.  Best part is that Dynomax sells this system for only $260.  It's not stainless, but is aluminized which will last me a lifetime out here in the desert anyway.  Should be a fairly quiet system with a little bite but not obnoxious, and free up a little power.

I have this stuff here it's just a matter of finding time to install it.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
Doesn't the '2 input, 2 output' transverse muffler itself serve (at least partially, given it's a ways back from the engine), the purpose of an H or X pipe?... ie.  The exhaust from both sides of the engine can escape via both outlet pipes....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan