Author Topic: 68 Tilt column loose & turn signal switch removal  (Read 14094 times)

Ue

• View Profile
68 Tilt column loose & turn signal switch removal
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:04:57 AM »
What do people use to remove the turn signal switch cover on a 68 Tilt colum if you don't have Tool-J-22708?
I tried a steering wheel remover using the bolt heads to hook under the rolled lip of the cover but it just unrolled the lip.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:40:22 AM by Ue »
Cheers,
Ue.

Ue

• View Profile
Re: 68 Tilt column loose & turn signal switch removal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »
It's great to see so many people checking to see if they can help me out here.
Thanks for no one replying "3 screws" like some others did when I posted this question to a Facebook group. CRG members are smarter than that. :)

Just incase you're wondering, even after removing the 3 screws that hold the turn signal switch in place, it can't be removed as the rolled lip of the column + flasher screw keep it from coming out (as per the red circles in the pic in the first post).

I've read various online guides about similar year tilt columns but some say rotate clockwise, others say rotate anti-clockwise, while some say to pull it straight off. I can't find anything that mentions a 68 Camaro tilt column so would really appreciate ANYONEs advice here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:55:00 AM by Ue »
Cheers,
Ue.

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
This is the tool...It hooks under the rolled lip.
Cheers,
Ue.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »
have you attempted to find a source for that tool?   Have you checked a local Chevrolet/GM dealership within the service department??  maybe an old mechanic has one?  :)   Otherwise, you might consider making a metal part that fits under that lip on both sides for use with your steering wheel puller??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:08:03 AM »
Thanks 69Z28-RS,
No chance of finding a Chevy factory tool down here in Australia unfortunately.

A great bloke (Jim Shea) gave me some advice via email and I've made a tool to remove the cover but it's stuck on so tight it's bent the tool (as you can see in the pic). I'm now trying to find someone to make one out of stiffer steel and try again though I'm pretty sure it'll just unroll the lip.

Here's what Jim Shea sent me for future forum reference......

Method 1
Remove the turn signal lever, hazard warning button, and turn signal switch.  Now take two fairly large tools (such as screwdrivers) and insert them through the turn signal lever and hazard button windows in the Housing can.  Now try to carefully pry the Housing can up and off the Housing Assy.

Method 2
If the above pry bar method doesn’t work, here is a tool that can be fabricated to remove the cover.  The link shows the tool that is designed to slip under the rolled lip of the cover to remove it.                                         
 http://s2.photobucket.com/user/JIML82/media/1967-68TiltHousingTool_zps8d7af4fd.jpg.html

It uses a steering wheel puller and three circular sheet metal parts that make up the tool.  All three sheet metal parts were made from electrical conduit box covers.  The circular plate with the nuts attached is smaller in diameter than the inside diameter of the rolled lip of the cover, so it will slip down inside.  The two half-moon parts are larger in diameter than the circular plate and large enough to fit under the lip of the cover.  But since they are split, you can work each one individually down inside the cover and under the rolled lip.

Place the circular part inside the cover with the nuts on the underside.  Now work the two half-moon parts down inside.  Align the bolt clearance holes in the half-moon plates with the nuts on the circular plate.  The puller should have a nut threaded on each of the two bolts.  Thread the puller bolts into the nuts on the circular plate.  Tighten the upper nuts down against the half-moon plates and the circular plate.  Use the puller to draw the cover off of the housing.
Cheers,
Ue.

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:24:28 AM »
Thanks Ramjett54.

Do you have the links to the references mentioned? The hyper links didn't come through in the document you linked to for me.

"This paper makes reference to Descriptions #5, #6, & #7.  They are included on two pages of line drawings entitled GM A-Car 1967-68 Tilt Steering Column Page #2, & #3.  "

I was able to find the link to this one below...
"Also there is a schematic drawing entitled GM A-Car 1967-68 Tilt Steering Column Blowup.  Most steering column parts will be called out with a reference number from this blowup. "
 http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=713

Cheers,
Ue.

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
Ok, an update for anyone looking for info in the future...

Getting the switch cover off was a real pain. I ended up forcing it up with flat head screw drivers in the hazard switch & turn signal holes. I damaged it and had to get it repaired which was costly due to the exactness of the shape for it to fit back on (and still look like original).

Once the turn signal housing and the switch assembly was removed, remove the 2 pins (I screwed a screw into them and GENTLY used vice-grips to pull them out.
After all that it was pretty easy to get to the 4 loose bolts.
You can tighten the knuckle at the same time if you're game but mine was still Ok.

Make sure you clean off all the old grease and redo with fresh grease before reinstalling the knuckle. Don't get grease on the tilt lock area though or it'll slip later on.

TIP - Use some lock-tight when refitting as you don't want to have to do this twice in a lifetime!.

Feel free to reply to this post if you want some more pics to see what you're going to be looking at.

Cheers,
Ue.

aus67rs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
This was helpful thanks.  I was able to tap mine off relatively easily once I knew how it came apart.  I'm rebuilding a 67 RS Convertible in Cairns, where are you?

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 07:00:55 PM »
There are 2 different PN's associated with the tool.
Here is pics of a tool I recently picked up.
Plus it will fit other car makes too.
https://theamcforum.com/forum/removing-turn-signal-switch-cover_topic67035_page1.html

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 05:15:03 AM »
Yep, took me almost a year to find one that was affordable (J-22598). About the only way to do it without damaging the top collar beyond recovery. I got pretty desperate to find one, I considered making one but fortunately one appeared before I made the leap.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 05:20:39 AM »
I have a 67 tilt column and I want to replace turn signal switch and thinking about going thru the whole thing while I am at it.
 Paid $100 for the tool and feel lucky to have found one in good condition.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 03:50:50 AM »
There are four critical tools to use in disassembly and reassembly - look at your Service Manual for the numbers of the pivot pin tool, special socket and the bowl (reassembly) driver, which keeps you from bending or crushing the collar when you drive it back in place after replacing the switch. I wish you luck in finding that one - that REALLY took a good while to locate.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 05:08:25 AM »
I was aware of the pivot pin tool but not the special socket and bowl driver. Can you provide more info on that; pics; part #'s?

anything