Author Topic: Street Legal 69 A/S Camaro  (Read 43373 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Street Legal 69 A/S Camaro
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
Dean, did your brother use the pipes on the street and if so, how was the noise?
Jon Mello
CRG

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »
Jon- i drove it around the block a few times like that, but decided I was going to go for more of a resto mod type car, so I took them off and eventually placed full 2.75" system out the back. The side exit pipes were pretty loud, but not any worse than straight header glass packs, which I liked to run when I was younger. I will try it out on the 69 and see how it goes. I'm not a long haired teenager anymore, so maybe the police wont hassle me. We will see...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 03:24:54 AM »
Well, I hope it works out to your satisfaction.  I didn't see any specs on the engine.  What are you doing with that?
Jon Mello
CRG

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »
Yes, I hope so as well...
The engine is a used 350ci I got from a buddy for cheap. Its nothing crazy- maybe 300hp. I know displacement should be under 305ci but for the street it will be fine. The block numbers actually code out to either a 302 or a 350, but the likely hood of it being a legit 302 is probably slim to none (honestly- I think its a factory replacement block). I contemplated building a poor mans' 302 using what is it- a 327 block and a 283 crank- but for now the 350 will be fine. Backing that up is a Muncie M20 four speed. I would have preferred a close ratio M21, but the M20 was a good deal and will be just fine. I love rowing through the gears of a four speed and a small block, and wouldn't EVEN consider putting a slush bucket auto in this type of car. The car is a poser true, but slapping an auto in there is going to far... In the rear I have the stock non posi BOP 10bolt with stock leaves and 1" lowering blocks. Stock drum brakes in the rear. All suspension points are rebuilt with poly components. I have an aftermarket sway bar and 3" lowered springs in front with drilled and vented stock style disk brakes. Power steering and brakes (would have preferred manual brakes and steering, but was cheaper to stay with what the car came with).

Jon- I have a question for you and the others concerning the windshield and back window retaining tabs and straps. How were those typically affixed to the body of the car? rivets, screws, nut and bolt? I would think they would have been removable and not permanently affixed say by rivet. Does anyone have any close up photos they could share? Thanks in advance for the input
Dean

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:54 PM »
Jon- I have a question for you and the others concerning the windshield and back window retaining tabs and straps. How were those typically affixed to the body of the car? rivets, screws, nut and bolt? I would think they would have been removable and not permanently affixed say by rivet. Does anyone have any close up photos they could share? Thanks in advance for the input
Dean

What I remember from my friend's Z28s (and other cars) were aluminum tabs (~ 1 inch wide, 2" long with screws into the body to hold them in place and restrain the windshield from popping out).  There may have even been a specification or rule governing this for SCCA, TA, or IMSA racing???
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »
Cool!!
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »
Dean

Dean, the 1972 SCCA rule book says... "Windshield safety clips 3" x 1" x 1/8" must be installed.  Three clips must be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield and must extend over the edge of the windshield.  Two clips must be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of the windshield.  Clips must be spaced a minimum of 12" apart.  Rear window must be secured with two straps 1" wide, 1/8" thick, bolted or riveted to the body both at the top and bottom of the rear glass."
Jon Mello
CRG

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 03:17:42 AM »
Jon-thanks for that. I was just perusing the rules for '72 and hadn't gotten to that section yet. I will be ready for the straps pretty soon. 69Z28-RS- thanks for your reply as well- aluminum will be much easier to source in those sizes and easier to bend and manipulate.

Another question- this one concerning tires. Since I cant run blue streaks on the street, is there an equivalent size in a radial as far as width and sidewall height (assuming I was running 15x8 wheels)? If this is covered somewhere else, please direct me there.
Currently, with my 15x10 wheels on the back I have 295/50/15s which I like allot, but I'm having a difficult time finding a wide tire for the 8x15 wheels on the front that will fill up the wheelwell, but not have a taller sidewall than my rear tires.

Also, did the original T/A cars run staggered rims- 7x15 front and 8x15 rear or were they all 8" wide with different offsets front to rear? I have read the wheel thread but don't remember seeing anything about the rim widths

Thanks again in advance for everyone's knowledge.
Dean

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 03:46:09 AM »
You're welcome. I have not done any research on radial tires comparing sizes, etc.  Maybe somebody else has but I haven't.  Hoosier makes a bias ply tire called a Street TD which is kind of a street legal racing tire. They are available in a few different sizes for 15" rims.

I think most racers back in the day, especially by 1972 used 15x8 wheels all the way around and they had flared fenders to allow that to be possible. You'll see some vintage T/A cars today use 15x7s up front with 15x8s in the back but there are only two different Goodyear Bluestreak sizes to use these days. Many of the cars have been restored without the big flares so the narrower rim and smaller tire helps up front.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 12:00:06 AM »

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:48 AM »

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 12:25:58 AM »
gotta say, nice to see a project not following any of the "beaten paths" Sort of back to the grass roots of the hobby. Really digging your vision on this.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:11 AM »
How about a Cooper Cobra 165 50 15.
http://www.rims4less.com/proddetail.php?prod=COOPERCOBRAGT&firstatt=265&secondatt=50&thirdatt=15&cat=7
Or Hankook
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/hankook/265%252F50-15+hankook+ventus+h101+99s+rwl.html
I have that size on the front of my Mustang on 15x8 200s wheels.

Yes- both of those look good. Your mustang looks great- a link to some better pics? I have a soft spot for 200s wheels... I will check the overall diameter compared to my 295/50/15s but I think those might be the ticket. And the price fits my budget too! Awesome- thanks so much for the info.

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 02:26:08 AM »
gotta say, nice to see a project not following any of the "beaten paths" Sort of back to the grass roots of the hobby. Really digging your vision on this.
Thanks- I am really enjoying it. Been a dream of mine for many years. For once I'm possibly on the front end of the trend...? instead of catching the tail end of it...

exracer29

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 02:31:29 AM »
I checked the overall diameter of my tires- turns out I'm running 295/50/15 Hankook's on the rear which come out at 26.60" in dia. The Hankook 265/50/15 looks to be 25.4 dia so I think they will be perfect. Im gonna order up a pair from Discount Tire Direct which is here in Phoenix. Free shipping and I get them usually next day.