Author Topic: 1969 Z/28 barn find before and after pics  (Read 13568 times)

77thor

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z/28 barn find before and after pics
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
Beautiful car! and my favorite color... :)
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 03:26:51 AM »
Nice looking ride Rev and a nice detailed job of bringing her back   :) 

Sometimes the history of the car can be just as cool as the car itself.  I often wonder when I drive past that old barn on a desolate road if there's an old Camaro or any muscle car sitting inside  ;D 

Do you have any history behind this Z ?  Why did the previous owner tuck her away and how did you come to being the new owner ?

Thanks
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 04:08:49 AM »
That car appeared to be pretty clean. Were there any suspension or driveline markings documented prior to restoration? And if so, did you document and duplicate them? I would have had a hard time completely repainting what looked like a decent original rot free car.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 04:05:42 PM »
Great car!!  Does it still have the original trunk lid?  If so can you post in this thread?

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12390.0;all

Revsitup

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 04:08:39 AM »
That car appeared to be pretty clean. Were there any suspension or driveline markings documented prior to restoration? And if so, did you document and duplicate them? I would have had a hard time completely repainting what looked like a decent original rot free car.
The car looked a lot better in the pictures than what it was up close in person.  It was  rust free but the fenders had been resprayed back in the 70,s and looked bad along with the hood had the paint burnt off.  I am guessing a carb fire at one time?    Plus mice had got in the interior and it smelled nasty so it all needed redone.   I considered trying to only repaint the frontend and redo the interior  but the rest of the car had so many minor dents and scrapes it just made more sense to completely restore it.    It had sit so long that all the brake/fuel lines and hoses needed replaced and I just figured the car deserved to be done the way it is now.
I did find a lot of markings on the spindles/tie rods etc. and tried to duplicate them the best I could.  I also duplicated the blue overspray on the floors and rear wheelhouses.   
Now that the car is done I feel I did the rite thing in a complete resto imho.

Revsitup

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »
Great car!!  Does it still have the original trunk lid?  If so can you post in this thread?

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12390.0;all
Yes I still have the original paint non spoiler trunk.. I added the spoiler but used another original trunk that was already drilled.  I just couldn't drill the original trunk as it was in to nice of condition.   I will try to post some pics in the other thread when I get a chance

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »
Couple of camps out there on the re-spray. I really do enjoy looking at un-restored cars such as Danny's. I probably review it for reference daily. ;)

For my own car, which I've been around for 40 years, same story. Looked good in pictures, not bad in person. Everyflaw just stood out to me when I looked at it, all I saw. Repair: silver dollar size hole, pass fender in front of rocker. (been there at least since the mid 70's) 2 areas on the rear wheel well lips about 1/2 a finger size(bubbles). Reshot quarters that stood out in the sun, pass side rear window lower right under trim showing signs of corrosion. Tiny pea sized bubble on the hood. Paint that was "over loved" throughout the years which showed burn through in certain areas. Never used a power buffer, lots of hand polishing. Top of drivers side fender misc. scratches....about 5 gallons of Ziebart shot under the car when it was new! Just was everywhere. I get it.

Personally I think you did a wonderful job, car looks great. Not a fan of wheel well trim. Think it somewhat takes the eye away from the beautiful lines on the 69's. Just my opinion :)
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

PANTHER-BUFF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 02:44:28 AM »
Nice! 👍
Danny

Revsitup

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »

Here is a little walkaround video of car running.   I had trouble posting so I hope it works ok

JD-Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 05:05:13 AM »
great job! you car looks amazing.

Revsitup

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
Thanks

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 12:54:41 AM »
Brent I love the before and after pics. It's cool to see what the car looked like before. You did an awesome job on your restoration. Congrats and enjoy.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 03:18:40 AM »
That is a beautiful car! Great job in the resto. We have "matching" 02D norwoods, mine is x33, tho. Congrats! You should be very proud!!
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

Revsitup

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04:01 PM »
That is a beautiful car! Great job in the resto. We have "matching" 02D norwoods, mine is x33, tho. Congrats! You should be very proud!!
Brent I love the before and after pics. It's cool to see what the car looked like before. You did an awesome job on your restoration. Congrats and enjoy.

Thanks guys.