Author Topic: Power steering bracket problem  (Read 8943 times)

lemarin

• View Profile
Power steering bracket problem
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
Hello guys, I'm rebuilding my engine compartment completely (my mechanic does in fact loll), and I'm having problem with a particular part: GM no 3959558

It's one of the 3 brackets for the power steering pump. I ordered through Heartbeat, a repro part kit, this one: http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/21937/Camaro-PS-Pump-brackets-SB-GM-1969-1970-1971-1972/

And I'm having problem only with the left one on the picture, no 3959558

Is there few "variant" with this specific part ? My car is A/C and Power steering equipped from the factory, does that make a difference ? After having ordered twice this part with heartbeat, I'm looking at this forum to find the answer.

I've found this one on eBay, it's an original one, maybe the fit would be better ?

Any idea will be very appreciated, thanks to all !
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2017 brillant black
BMW M3 ZCP 2017 Yas Marina Blue
Chevrolet Camaro RS 1969 Daytona yellow
Tesla 3D 2018 AWD (ordered)

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Power steering bracket problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:06:16 PM »
So what is the issue? this brace fits between the motor mount, exhaust manifold and the adjustment bracket of the pump.  If any of those parts are not stock, then fitment might be an issue. 

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
In the link you provided, Heartbeat claims what you ordered to be original used OEM brackets that may need cleaning and painting before installation.  You're saying they are repo??

I ordered a complete power steering conversion kit from Heartbeat that will arrive today.
This one... http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/20386/Camaro-Power-steering-kit-307-327-350-1969   which I believe will in fact be reproduction brackets and such.  I'm curious on the fitment.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
It's always hard for me, to make the relay between my mechanic (he's the one working on the car), and heartbeat or you guys. What my mechanic says, he says that all the pulley are very well aligned, but he can't screw this bracket properly. He says from his experience, that the bracket sent by heartbeat is a repro, the way it's built and welded, even the replacement one they send me.

I'll try to get a picture from him, to see exactly where's the issue.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
I just spoke to him on the phone. He's away from home right now, but he's saying that the problem is the angle of the bracket.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »
Mine came in and from what I see with the kit as far as brackets go,  these are the same brackets used in millions of small block chevy power steering applications from 69 and up into the early 70's, nothing special about them.
  I still have a complete OEM 72 sbc bracket setup stashed away I'll drag out and compare with.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:31:27 PM »
thanks to you X33RS

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
I have an original on my shelf as well.  We located a second one at a swap meet a few months ago and they look identical to the OP's picture.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Lemarin, I found the box and pulled out the OEM brackets I have.  I compared that particular support bracket in question to the repop I received from Heartbeat and I can't physically see any difference in size or shape.

I won't know for sure how these reproduction brackets are going to fit yet though and I think that is the real test.  I won't know until the engine is back from the machine shop.  Crossing my fingers I don't run into fitment issues, but as of right now, I can't see any issues.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Here are some pictures I took this afternoon visiting my mechanic. Maybe I just don't have the right manifold ? According to the casting number, it's suppose to be the right ones....

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
All else fails & I'm sure some would be opposed to this idea but what about heating the bracket, tweaking it to work then repainting?  Personally I would just make it fit..  Once installed you will not be to see much of it anyways..  Just a thought.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 11:25:29 PM »
Darrell said:  "Personally, I would just make it fit."

We come from the same school!  X2

c

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »
 I see what you're running into now.  I agree with others, it's close enough that I would work it and make it fit.  Carefully running the rounded portion on a belt sander would help it to fit into the contours of the exhaust manifold, that may solve a lot of the issue right there.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
X2 on what X33RS said.  You need to grind the edge where it is interfering with the manifold, but remove the bolt on the motor mount and trial fit it 1st.  Looking it at with the bolt in there will through it off a bit.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »
Nothing out of the ordinary for reproduction brackets or replacement bolt on engine parts.

The mechanic for the car owner is a parts changer, not one who possesses reasoning or cognitive skills.

This is not a difficult problem. Modify the repro part or buy a factory part. There are plenty of them out there.