Author Topic: Can one determine if a VN built Z/28 is real?  (Read 3404 times)

Prackman

• View Profile
Can one determine if a VN built Z/28 is real?
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:28 AM »
I have a restored 1969 Z/28 built in Van Nuys.  This vehicle does not have it's original engine or trans. but they are date correct with lots of reproduction parts.  Since LA didn't use X-codes on the cowl tag is there any way determine if this vehicle was actually born as a Z/28? is there any uniqueness to a Z/28 with it's body beyond the obvious i.e. front disc brakes, exhaust hanger pad, etc?
John
1969 Z/28 VN Built
1967 SS

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Can one determine if a VN built Z/28 is real?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »
No, not without authenticated documentation. Have you checked the top of the gas tank, driver's side, for a copy of the broadcast sheet? Most LOS cars had one left on top of the tank, and if the tank is original to the car (and never been dropped), yours may still be there; you may be able to see it if you peek in the wheelhouse.
All of the clues you mention can suggest a Z, but could have equally come with other RPOs. Does your car have original paint, YH wheels, tire pressure sticker etc? Some good areas to check for more clues here: http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »
I believe some LOS cars have been reported to have the X codes grease penciled into the bulk head behind the back seat.  Not sure if they all did or if there was a time frame when they may have started doing this, but always worth a look.

Steering components like pitman arms and steering arms are also worth looking into.  It's not definitive as this stuff can also be changed or optioned, but it's something most people almost never change on a clone and could provide you with another clue.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
I have a restored 1969 Z/28 built in Van Nuys.  This vehicle does not have it's original engine or trans. but they are date correct with lots of reproduction parts.  Since LA didn't use X-codes on the cowl tag is there any way determine if this vehicle was actually born as a Z/28? is there any uniqueness to a Z/28 with it's body beyond the obvious i.e. front disc brakes, exhaust hanger pad, etc?

Does it have any of the following?  Original distributor, carb, intake, rear axle (if so what is assembly date stamp and how does it compare to the car build date), what is the red line of tach if it has one?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:14:53 AM »
Also have tracked down the original dealer? What rear springs are in it ?