Author Topic: Anyone use the console conversion harness?  (Read 4503 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Anyone use the console conversion harness?
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
Just curious how it worked out.  I'm referring to the harness made to convert a non console gauge car to console/gauges..
Mine is a non gauge car however 30-something years ago someone stuck an original gauge console in the car.  I'm not certain they were ever hooked up so on my ordering spree I decided to grab one of these conversion harnesses just in case as well as a console harness to go with it, just in case.  My wife decided since the console was already in the car, lets use it.

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use the console conversion harness?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »
My wife decided since the console was already in the car, lets use it.
My car is also a non-console car, but I purchased an original red console many years ago when I thought I wanted gauges. I bought all of the NOS gauges and some original wiring harnesses and the conversion wiring, several clocks, etc and have been storing everything since then. I've got the car running this year, and I decided to not use the console because I really want to go back to the original options and I like the extra space. When my wife got in the car for her first ride in probably 10 years, she says "Where's our console?". I explained I removed it, and she grumped much of the drive because she had no place to put her stuff.

So I hear ya. I've put the console back in. I'm not doing the gauges, I put in the 68 dealer option clock and am having an original 8track restored with my AM radio. I can't answer your question, but I enjoyed your post because its amazing how SWMBO can change everything.

Andy

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
Oh I have every intention of restoring the car the way it came at some point in time (few years down the road)  Which means no gauges at all.  It may not have even come with a console at all, I still have yet to remove the interior for cleaning and inspect the floor for factory riv-nuts.
    In the mean time I'm not doing anything to the car I can't reverse.  I'm not even knocking out the dash where the center clock would go because that's much more involved to revert back.  Thankfully someone didn't go that far.  So it's easy to look at and tell it's not a factory gauge car anyway, I'm not doing this to fool anyone, I just don't care to drive it without monitoring things.   So simply leaving the console/gauges someone else added decades ago wasn't a hard decision, I've already had a tachometer for the dash where the fuel gauge original resides, my dilemma is that it's an 8k tach and technically not correct for my build date, so I ordered a 7k tach instead.  I just want to hook all this up while at the same time not butchering original wiring under the dash, and I hoped the conversion harness accomplished that??? 
  I figure if I didn't use this factory stuff I've had laying around and put the car the way it came (no gauges), I'd then have an aftermarket tach hanging off the column and a couple of aftermarket gauges hanging under the dash (which my wife doesn't like) Because I can't stand not knowing what's going on, lol.  So the factory stuff will get used for now until she gets tired of driving it.  LOL yeah they have a way of influencing us at times  ;D

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
The conversion harness came in today with the rest of the parts.  It's more complete than I thought it would be, including a tach harness as well as complete instructions on how to run the wiring.  Looks like it will do the job just fine.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Yeah the FactoryFit conversion harness is complete, and has great instructions. If you are looking to make it reversible you might skip the bulkhead rewire of the addition for the ampmeter lines and run them out the RS vacuum port in the firewall if you are not an RS 68 or 69. You can also leave the oil pressure switch in place, or run a T and use both. In a 67/68 that would mean no swap of the OIL light to the FUEL light. A lot of work, maybe you will find it a lot of work for a temp install. 
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
Thanks Pace, great suggestions.  You're right, I was reading through the instructions last night, very thorough and looks like a fair amount of work.  I know the console/gauges will stay for at least a while until the car is restored so I'll go through with it for the time being. Yes it's an RS, I'm reluctant to drill extra holes for the amp meter so I'll have to cross that road when I get there and make a decision.  If I don't see a viable option I'll likely run through the bulk head and just have to deal with that come removal time.   I will likely run an oil fitting to use both the light and the gauge like you mentioned.  I figure the light is already there so why not.

Progress has been slow, between other cars and jumping back and forth.  Engine is at machine shop now.  I'll post up and attempt pictures when I start to get deep into this thing, maybe start a post on total progress with hopes of going full steam on it within the next month or so.  A lot to do just to get this thing back to road worthy again.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
Well then I can say IMHO there is nothing wrong with doing the complete job to install the gauge option and leaving it that way after your restoration. That is as long as it is right and done to factory standards which means Tachometer and center Clock are installed. Unless you have all the original paperwork including invoice then maybe I wouldn't add the set. But in most cases done right it will increase value.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Careful, you might talk me into purchasing a clock to finish it off  ;D

No paperwork on the car, but I do know it's a no frills car.  Other than the RS package and deluxe houndstooth, it's your basic Z.  Clues tell me it's a flat hood car, no spoiler car, and with the blank center pod filler above the steering column still intact with the "Camaro" script I believe it to be a no gauge car.  It may or may not have had a plain console, I need to pull the current gauge console to look for clues.  Other than that it has no options, not even power steering.

I always thought it was odd to order deluxe houndstooth with it and not spring for gauges and console, but I understand quite a few were built that way.  Almost looks out of place to me to have fancy interior and not have a gauge/console setup.  Especially with all that simulated wood grain across the dash.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »
Some 'expert' was asked by the pretty lil blonde gal Christy Lee? today (Barrett Jackson auction on Velocity channel).  ..   Did all '69 Z28 s came from the factory with rear spoilers, or if that was an option.. :)     His answer:  'Absolutely all Z28's came with the spoiler!"....   

Typical expert opinion expressed re the Barrett Jackson auctions...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:19:56 AM »
LOL, yeah you would think after all these years and 20,302 69's made that this simple stuff would be all cleared up by now :shrug:  Especially considering the number of them that have crossed that block over the years.

I like/enjoy BJ though and look forward to it every year.  Not so much from an auction standpoint, I treat it more like a giant car show. 

anything