Author Topic: Time for a paintjob  (Read 9782 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Time for a paintjob
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »
After driving around 15 years without emblems, stripes and chrome, I've decided to take this 69 SS350 into a local body and paint shop. All these years I've been hoarding NOS chrome and body parts, but never had the heart to put the stuff on top of bad paint.

I need new full quarters. I have one NOS quarter. I'm sure I shouldn't use one NOS and one reproduction, so I need some opinions please. I can sell the NOS or I can buy the other NOS to make a pair. If I sell the NOS, which repro is the best? I've read about as many forums as I can handle. I did follow some advice on another forum and contact BelairBob to buy AMD, but he had other repros as well. Does anyone have any strong opinions about NOS or repro quarters? I've also read that there are differences in the NOS quarters, depending on whether they were early or not with early stampings having more defined lines.

Also after my car is reassembled, I will have a ton of stuff that I can finally sell. (I have no idea why I have an NOS pair 68 inner fender wells that don't even fit a 69).

Thanks - Andy

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Time for a paintjob
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
From everything I've seen, NOS quarters mean squat. It's great to be able to say you have good old American GM quarters, but they aren't exactly like originals and still require work. There's a ton of threads on it as you've seen so I won't rehash all the details. I have new Dynacorn quarters on my 69 and everything has lined up well with minimal massaging. I have my original tail panel and the quarters line up very nicely along with the original trunk and doors. AMD is the buzz word for quality, but I couldn't be much happier with my sheet metal. The only caveat I'll say is that the floor pan had a lot of differences. If you look at one of my posts, I go into some of those details. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13700.0
Here's a couple of pics of my quarter to roof, trunk and tail panel fitment. I loosely fitted the trim on so I could check the radius. Both sides fit the same.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
Yeah that looks really good Dave. I really wish I could do that, but I don't have the skills to do good bodywork so I will be paying someone with the experience to do it correctly. Can I ask why you chose Dynacorn over Goodmark or AMD?

Anyone want a left side NOS quarter?

Thanks - Andy

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
Yeah that looks really good Dave. I really wish I could do that, but I don't have the skills to do good bodywork so I will be paying someone with the experience to do it correctly. Can I ask why you chose Dynacorn over Goodmark or AMD?

Anyone want a left side NOS quarter?

Thanks - Andy

I wish I could say it was all me. If you want to get those results without the finish work, talk to Tony at Muscle Car Metal. He does great work and is a heck of a good guy. He just doesn't do the final work. As far as going with Dynacorn, I let Tony decide because I saw his final work on other cars and I trusted him.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

makemine69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:56:32 AM »
Andy I have to put my 2 cents in, Ive installed at least 25 sets of full qtrs. on 69 Camaros, had my own restoration shop, AMD is the best out there as for imports, but keep this in mind the import sheet metal is thinner then the GM Qtrs are! need proof ask any paintless repair shop! Its a lot easier to take out a dent in the import sheet metal, If you look in Hemmings Motor news theres GM Qtrs out there but be ready to pay up for one!  I will say this the AMD Qtrs fit the best and for the price they cant be beat, just remember to find a place to hide your car if a hail storm arise's! LOL

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
I still have the one NOS and AMD quarter, I should figure out how to weigh them in comparison.

Car is stripped. Any suggestions on what I should be scrambling to get done at this stage? I need fuzzies and rubber. I bought a front end bolt kit that was supposed to be close to original, but I'm not impressed so I'll need to inventory what I have original and try to figure out what is good enough. I was on the hunt for an original windshield, but that's a pipe dream.

Does anyone bother with the sound deadener kits? Since the seats and carpet are out, I bought new carpet and I was wondering about the underlayment kits.

Thanks - Andy

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:25:50 AM »
The guy who just installed Dyna mat in his 68 is Phillip (lakeholme) I think he may have posted about it if you do a search or send him a message
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
I got my door weatherstrip from camaro specialties and they fit nice. they are the ones they have made
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »
Also after my car is reassembled, I will have a ton of stuff that I can finally sell. (I have no idea why I have an NOS pair 68 inner fender wells that don't even fit a 69).

Thanks - Andy

I might have a set of 69 good take offs if you would be interested in trading.  Also I didn't use dynamat but you can see what I used and how well it worked here..

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105931&page=3

This is what I used and it cost roughly $100 to do the entire car.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:12:06 PM by cook_dw »

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
This is what I use on all customer cars as well as my own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111101846711     It's cheap to buy and 50 sq feet will do floors, doors, roof, with enough left over to do a few other things if need be.   Works great, can be bought thicker for just a little extra if you prefer.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
As Darrell said Peel and Seal is the way to go.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

JD-Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:05:20 AM »
I've seen the GTmat on ebay too and have been comparing it to Fatmat. however, some review says the fatmat has odor in it

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »
I've heard the same thing about Fatmat, but I've never tried it so can't comment myself.  I've used the GTmat for a few years without complaint.  No odor, customers love it, it's reasonably priced, and my son likes working with it so I usually give the job to him and he rolls it out.  I've used dynamat but that stuff is ridiculously priced.  It'll cost $4-$500 to do a car in dynamat vs $89 for GTmat and I don't notice any difference in sound quality to be honest.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:39 AM »
I got my door weatherstrip from camaro specialties and they fit nice. they are the ones they have made

got a part number ?? What I read he has them made. Good match to originals? I can get away with using my old ones, exterior sides present well, but undersides tore up some. Body man felt no problem, I'm worried about water getting trapped underneath against the sheet metal. Ordered a trunk seal from Steele for comparison, no outer cover. Gotta go latex for a match?
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »
 The weatherstripping from Camaro Specialties had made  I believe is latex they have the slick feel to them verses soft seal ... I also contacted them on the phone & asked about the roof rail weatherstripping & they said they use the latex roof rails from (OER) and have good luck with them ....Also he used to sell the door seals on  EBay ...

anything