Author Topic: Frame mount dimensions for 69 302/350  (Read 5541 times)

69only

• View Profile
Frame mount dimensions for 69 302/350
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
Hi All,
  Read the article on CRG about the different frame and motor mounts used in 67-69, but I need the exact dimensions of the frame mount for the 302. There is a set in the car already, no numbers visible, but they are definitely similar in size and shape. There is a fresh coat of paint on them, the engine bay and undercarriage were restored just before I bought it, so I'd rather not have to remove the paint. (It was going to turned into a drag car!). Thanks for the help.

If you're curious, look forward to seeing a #s, (- -) special paint code 69 Z, nut and bolt resto in Ferrari California red w/white stripes, coming soon.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Frame mount dimensions for 69 302/350
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »
Hi All,
  If you're curious, look forward to seeing a #s, (- -) special paint code 69 Z, nut and bolt resto in Ferrari California red w/white stripes, coming soon.

yes, real curious!! Never seen a factory 69 Camaro painted that color! I am sure you have documentation that the car was painted out of the factory that color or you would not be calling this a "resto", right?

On the mounts. Are they off the frame now or bolted on the frame? It was not real clear how you stated. Perhaps you could take measurements on what you have along with a pic or two and someone, here, can tell you what you have.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
The '69 302/350 mount is 2-1/4" in width; 67-68 & '69 307/327 mount is 2-1/2". 302/350 mount is 3/8" shorter to accommodate the taller interlocking mount. Very easy to screw up and put the 67-68 motor mount on the '69 bracket. Clutch chatter and vibration will result.

If it was red originally it was likely Monza Red, a Corvette color.
Learning more and more about less and less...

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »
The engine is out of my car at the moment, I can take detailed measurements of the original frame mounts if you can indicate presactly what you need. If it helps, I can post pictures of them and you can mark on them what dimensions you need. Also have the non-interlocking engine mounts if you need measurements of those.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
Welcome aboard,  Yes very curious.  Are you stating it's a factory "special paint Ferrari red" ? or just a special paint coded Z that's been repainted in Ferrari red ?  Can you post a pic of the trim tag also ?
Thanks
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:14 AM »
Well, not sure if you found what you needed, but I measured the frame mounts on the car today. The non-interlocking engine mounts are in another location but I will measure them in a day or two.

Note on a smaller screen you may need to scroll down to the last photo and drag the slide bar across to see the right hand side of the wider images showing the caliper display.

Driver's side frame mount 3945507 (the '7' is obscured by the mounting nut):

Width measures at 2.375" ( 2 3/8"):

Passenger side frame mount 3945508:

Width also measures at 2 3/8":

Measured height of both sides at 2.2" with the digital calipers and 2 5/32" with a tape measure; slightly different readings but probably ythe camera angle. It's not particularly easy to get accurate measurements without unbolting them and placing on a flat surface:

Hope these are of use to you.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

69only

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:49 AM »
Thank you to all for the replies, they were very helpful. Sorry for the late response.
The car is still at the paint shop so I have not had the chance to check the mounts.
As for the paint, I guess I screwed up because I thought that the two dash -- designation just meant
that the customer ordered some custom color of their choice. I didn't realize the choices would have been limited to GM only colors.
Therefore my choice of Ferrari California Red with white stripes (Monza Red was too orangey).

There is no documentation, chalk or crayon marks, PBT stamps, hidden build sheets, etc. The only one I found was CH on the clutch fan.
However, I'm not overly concerned at this point, I paid regular Camaro money for it since it was a project, the 'numbers' are just a bonus.
I am using GM parts everywhere possible, Made in the USA reproduction parts as much as possible. I will resort to using a driver quality
GM part before I put any chinese stuff on this car. I get the car in two weeks, I'll post pix.
Thanks again for all the help.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Sounds like it might be an LA-built car, if there's no chalk/crayon on the rear seat bulkhead and no PBT firewall inspection stamps. Perhaps you could post a picture of the trim tag when you get the car back from paint jail?
BTW, it'd be great if you could add your name or nickname to your profile, so we can address you properly!
Tim in Australia.

anything