Author Topic: Fire at Girlfriends where Z/28 is stored  (Read 12911 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Fire at Girlfriends where Z/28 is stored
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:48:37 AM »
Girlfriends house caught on fire on the side of the garage where the Camaro is stored!! Holy Crap I thought I was going to have a heart attack. The gas meter melted and was like a flame thrower right thru to my original DF rally's. They held back the fire while I got my work truck moved. Then could NOT see the Camaro from the smoke. I closed my eyes and held my breath and went into the garage. Found the door handle. Fired it up and backed it out blind! It is covered in ash, inside and out. But it made it thru... More later ... D

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Fire at Girlfriends where Z/28 is stored
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:10:51 AM »
Geesh! So sorry for you and the GF. Never want to hear the word fire and Camaro or Good Buddies, here, mentioned in the same sentence. Whew, glad you saved the ole gal...GF too.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cam69aro

• 38,000 mile Jerry MacNeish certified z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »
thank goodness you and the girlfriend are ok !!!!!!!!!! sorry to hear about the Z and the mishap with the house. hopefully it will work out for the good and quick, the Z needs a house and your girlfriend does too !!!!!!!!!!!!
Eldon W 1969 z28 Black with born with driveline X77 38,000 miles-sold
2016 z06/z07 Corvette Black

buenymayor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:38 AM »
At least you and the GF are ok and safe. Bonus that the Camaro is, too.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »
Never heard of a gas meter melting or catching fire. Glad you guys realized quickly and were able to avoid a catastrophe.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
Holy crap!

Glad everyone is safe. Fill us in more when you can.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
Shit, I can just imagine how it feels but I'm glad nobody got hurt!   :-X
Hopefully a good cleanup can do the thing on the Camaro?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
My brothers house caught fire a while back. They lost most everything except the 69Z, the Z06, and the Harley.
When I got there the house was a blaze and my brother and his son were pushing the Harley out(would not start). People were surprised that the cars were the first thing out. Oh I forgot the dog was first.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »
Thanx everyone... I will post a couple pictures. Don't wanna take up a lot of Camaro site space. But I needed my online support guys. Charley {Hubleyman} stopped over just a few minutes after it happened to pick up an FW wheel I gave him. He was shocked when he pulled up.
 We were 10 feet inside the front door finishing lunch when we heard a crackling sound. I ran out the front door to see the smoke bellowing out the right front corner. I screamed to her to call 911 and grabbed the hose to start to spray it down. I was doing pretty good but I didn't know the other side was engulfed and the neighbor an Auschwitz survivor was trying from her side, also with a hose. {Still has the tattoo on her arm, but that's another story} After what seemed like a life time, maybe 1 minute. I seen the garage starting to fill with smoke and pour out the seems. I screamed to Suzy to throw me my work truck keys. She came out with both cats and locked them in her suburban with some water. I jumped in my work truck and pulled it across the street. Then I ran around and hit the button on the garage opener. The panel was not destroyed yet so the door opened. I ran back around and went inside and jumped in the car. I took a deep breath once I got in cause I thought I was clear. Instead I breathed in a giant gulp of smoke that filled in the car. But I pumped the gas and she fired, threw it in reverse and rode the clutch out while revving her up so she wouldn't do a cold die. Pulled out fast without looking into the street. Took a chance, and no one or nothing was there.. Pulled it down the street in front of the neighbors. Then ran back to the hose to start spraying again. Got to hot on my face, arms and legs. JUST then the gas meter let go, and created a flame thrower right where the gas tank of the car would have been. But I had my DF rally's RIGHT where it was coming through. Going over to look at them closely for damage. The Rally's helped save the house. I could not touch them as they were screaming hot. I seen the "22" gone off the inside of the one. But to hard to get close and breath. Figures that I have 7 YH and cheapy FW Rally's over a few feet that received no damage  >:( >:(
 Of course if  the garage door opened and I seen flames, I would have had to run. I already told myself as the door was going up, don't be a hero, let it burn it's insured. My eyes are still blood red, and at the Best Western last night, I coughed up a lung or 2... But it's done today.
The fire department showed up and put it out in 2 minutes, and turned of the gas. The neighbors house caught fire and melted their panel and gas meter, and caught the attic on fire. Everyone is ok, could have been SO MUCH WORSE. Right side of garage only. Fire inspector said my 5/8ths inch plywood on that wall and the insulation slowed it from getting into the attic and taking the whole house down. I use plywood cause I wanna hang things anywhere I want. Drywall has a better fire rating but the plywood did good. UNTIL if gets going, then of course it turns into fuel. But it didn't get that far. Old zinsco breaker box from 1972 is my guess of cause. And she only had 100 amp service. We had 40amp AC going, and 40amp pool equipment going. Which leaves 20amps for the house. So the cooktop, couple fans, 2 refrigerators etc. etc... Out of power, overload, fire... Had to leave the car outside at my Dads last night in the dew. TONS of rust came back in a flash on the paint. Gotta wipe it all down with evaporust.
Couple pictures coming... Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
pictures. Computer word still not working right for resizing. But you get the point. See where wheels were stacked and the whole were the gas torch came through ..D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:12 PM »
more, what is left of the gas meter... D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Looks like I may have wheel damage, rad ID tag is missing, glove box liner is tweaked from all the water. And my BRAND NEW wiring Engine Harness burned up. Also looks like some other stuff gone... Crazy, just glad to be alive, and still have Suzy, the Kitty's and the 4 cars and trucks.... D

dino67

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »
Yikes! Lucky to get out alive and save what you did. We'll keep a good thought for you.

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »
Thank goodness no one was hurt
Sorry for your losses
the "small stuff" can be replaced
Chris
69 SS 350

zman1969

• View Profile