Author Topic: XT wheels date codes?  (Read 3365 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
XT wheels date codes?
« on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »
In my search I came across a pair of XT wheels in PA, but the pictures I asked for are fuzzy.  >:( Has anyone seen any fakes of the XT wheel?

For an early Nov 68 build, what should I see around the stem? would m = "1" and what if I don't see anything for m stamped? I can't tell if its the crappy pics or if there is something there. He said they were in storage, so he went today to take the pics. But now I had to tell him I couldn't read the stamps.

Opinions please.

K1y m (hole) dd aa

where:
    K = Kelsey-Hayes
    1 = Romulus, MI wheel plant
    y = calendar year
    m = month
   dd = day
   aa = application code

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: XT wheels date codes?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Yes XT wheels can be forged. The standard 14" x 7" wheel GM used on millions of '78-'87 G & X bodies is a dead ringer. Someone was stamping them many years ago. Not sure but I heard the later wheels have 4 mounting bosses to retain the hub cap. Real XTs have 3. A known XT date for early cars is K18 10 9.

Pontiac also used a 14" x 7" XT wheel '69-'70. I believe the font was smaller.
Learning more and more about less and less...

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: XT wheels date codes?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »
Great information William, that makes me feel better about these. 3 mounting bosses in this pic. I can't go see them in person, and although I know a few people in the area, none I could expect to know anything about old wheels.

He has a good story, sounds legit how these wheels would have been passed around.

Looks like that 73 is 13, Hard to make out other side, someone told me they think Nov-Dec 13th, But you can clearly see XT. K18  is  very clear on the inside both the same. Had these on my 69 Chevelle back in 72 with Goodyear raise white letter snow tires mounted on them, then onto my 71 Grand Prix.{still have}. Think they came off my brother's Motion Camaro { Yes he had a real Motion Camaro, Sold it for $1500 back in the day} You would really have to check them out.

Thanks - Andy

anything