Author Topic: Opinions on reproduction convertible header moulding?  (Read 5311 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Opinions on reproduction convertible header moulding?
« on: October 01, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »
  I'm looking to either re-chrome or buy the reprodiction convertible header molding for my '67 (I'm weighing cost vs. OEM fit and finish). I do not see any specific markings on the originals so a well made repro will be fine for me. Has anyone used a reproduction on their ragtop and if so how do you like the fit and finish? Is the end plate section that screws to the windshield frame post riveted on like the originals?
  I wish there was a local place here on Long Island to see these in person.

Thank You,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Opinions on reproduction convertible header moulding?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
I put a set of those on.  Lets just say I finally got them on. Finish is fine, fit was a little off.  The repro visor mounts do not fit the repro header at all. I had to use my good used ones. I did not notice the rivet.  Closest Camaro place to LI is the ground up place in CT.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
 Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that input. I made an error when I said rivet. It should have stated spot welded.
That is interesting about the visor brackets. I assumed all would fit even if a reproduction. What was it about the visor mounts that didn't fit correctly?

Thank You,
Mike

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
I believe they were spot welded.  The visor support curve was different from the original.  I could not get the support to fit flush with the header.  The originals fit fine. I think it was more the visor support had the issue, not the headers.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
  Always wanting to have closure in topics for future reference I am updating this thread. I have since tried to install CHQ reproduction headers, twice too, and have had my hands full of frustration and disappointments with it. I thought that perhaps being there were no P/N's on the originals, I would make an exception and use a reproduction. Wrong move!
  Looking at the two photos below I used a contour gauge to measure the original and compared to the reproduction and you can clearly see the difference in the shape and rise angle. This difference prevents the reproduction piece from being flush with the post molding that slides under the ends. Instead, the repro pitches back thereby causing a 1/16" gap between the post molding and header area.
  Bottom line is I am sending out my originals, including the sun visor brackets, to get re-chromed.

Mike

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that someone would expend the energy to cut a die set for a part and not get it right.  With 3-D scanning available there should be no excuse for putting out parts like the repro's shown.  Who is doing the trade work and where?  Are they blind?  Sad.

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
Just wondering, do the repo visor mounts contour to the repo header moulding?
    VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
Just wondering, do the repo visor mounts contour to the repo header moulding?
    VT
No, they do  NOT! 

anything