Author Topic: Cowl Paint  (Read 6706 times)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Cowl Paint
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
I have read just about every thing of late concerning paint IE: where, what, when,etc...
I understand the body color is put on 1st, then the black on the cowl. There are several examples showing the Trim Tag area and this has me wondering, if there is overspray from the body color on the top edge of the TT and black is painted on the cowl going above the Tag, how did that edge on top of the Tag escape the black paint?

Q2) I am going to make a copy of the paint gloss's out of Jerry's book to give my painter. Is there some simplified way of conveying the gloss recommendations? I am thinking along the line of, I could say everything is painted semi-gloss or 30% or whatever the majority of black painted parts are normally, except this and that (ex.heater box cover,rad.) In other words, could things be condensed or am I wrong. I am under the belief that the rocker blackout and tail panel are the same gloss as the underside, inner fenders, firewall,etc. Some confusion on things like underside of hood specify 60% gloss, while other majority is 30-60%. Sorry this is so long, my mind is working overtime.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:04:35 PM »
I know nothing about the cowl paint, so I hope this is useful. I am also curious about what I see. Today I cleaned the cowl only in the area around the tag. I'm fairly certain the engine and cowl has never been repainted, but nothing is guaranteed. There is some light rust directly above the "Body by Fisher", so the paint is lost there. If you want a better close-up, I can email to you.

Edit - While I'm looking at this picture I just posted, I see the glare along the edge so that's not very useful. Let me know if you want a better picture without the glare.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:25:17 PM »

Hopefully JohnZ can chime in and maybe have a perspective as to why or how this happened.  I do know it wasn't consistent as I have seen the edge in black..

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Lack of paint coverage on top of TT is due to gun fan angle and/or gun angle. Same thing applies to any object painted with sharp angles and contours. Your painter should know this. 30% gloss is acceptable for most components, which is satin and not semi gloss. Understand your gloss levels. John submitted his gloss level info in this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=357234

Plenty of tailpanel and rocker gloss level threads on here.

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »
Thanks for that link Scott. Clears up or substantiates my own thoughts about paint gloss being "one gloss fits all".  Excepting, of course, vendor gloss painted parts & D90. That simplifies, if I am correct in my thinking, what I need to convey to my painter.

Regarding the TT, I have a good handle on how a spray angle would leave a contour unpainted, but that should have also left the area just above the TT unpainted (black) as well if painted at an upward angle. Not a real important detail, just an observation having viewed a good many TT's prompted my question RE:TT's.

As for my painter knowing this. He never asked about the TT, that was my ?. As far as gloss he does not do restorations, so is asking about gloss's and order of painting, like body color before firewall paint.

As for the firewall paint, I have another ?. How far up the toe panel was the underside painted. To my understanding, the underside was painted 1st, then body color leaving overspray on under floor, then firewall. How far up for the floor (1st) step and how far down for the F.W.(3rd)step?
Apologies if I am mis-understood. I am ignorant of this painting part & I am trying to tell someone who is knowledgeable how to do things. You can see why I want my facts right and concise to ease the communication.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »
Excellent article Scott.
Bentley does this help you on foot area.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:11:29 AM »
Yes,Bill. Thanks. Just by a practical guess, I would have, or have, figured that area or thereabouts was the cutoff. My car is black on the floor bottom, best I can tell, so it was harder to tell. The yellow car is gray, like yours. One thing that does not help on my cars, I was a little crazy with the rattle can BITD and cannot rely on my own car's paint lines.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
I see Many over restored  Camaro's  at the big car shows with way too much over spray under the car. I realize some cars were painted like that but probably very few.
I thought the body color was sprayed on first,  then the firewall was sprayed black starting at the bottom working up to the top, that is why all cars are a little different at the top of the firewall as far as body color over spray at top of firewall.
69 Z28 Burgandy

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
Here is a picture of my 67 LOS tag on an unrestored firewall. Notice the paint runs and the black out paint (looks almost flat due to age) covers maybe half the tag. Blackout coverage was based on the painter during that shift though I am sure Fisher had basic instructions on how to finish an engine compartment.  Likely no two engine compartments were finished the same.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
The cars were painted with reciprocating nozzles... traversing on a rail would be reciprocating... so the paint spray remained at a constant angle to the car surface, thus the roof painted and the rail spray pattern stopping as close to the front of the cowl as possible to the front vertical plane of the firewall would cause a light mist to fog the firewall with any horizontal shelf (top of trim tag lip, lips in the seam sealer) to catch the body paint.  I have studied this intensely. Post pics later.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
Gold Z28 - the fine spots on the firewall are gold paint, over the black then the top lip has the stripe blackout lapping over the firewall lip

gold mist behind pb booster

Burgundy and White Z28

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa