Author Topic: Tailpipes  (Read 3098 times)

bc69

• View Profile
Tailpipes
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:53:21 AM »
What were the different configurations to the tailpipes on different models and years?
My 69 L48 has stainless tips parallel to ground straight out under rear valance. Was this done any other year? On anything other than SS or Z2?
Brad
RSSS

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tailpipes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:51 AM »
If they are stainless they are not OE. Standard dual exhaust [N10] '69s built through May 17, 1969 had one-piece aluminized steel tailpipes configured as you described. As of May 19 they were revised to a "bright metal" finish which is basically chrome. However the tailpipes differed in design. The RH pipe was 2-pc construction with the tip nickel/chrome plated and welded to the rear half. It was then welded to the muffler. The LH pipe was unchanged, just polished and flash-chromed. It was clamped to the muffler. Several OE exhaust '69s built May through September still exist in this configuration. Chevy serviced chromed tailpipes well into the '80s but both were the 2-pc design. Not known if the 2 pc LH pipe was ever used in production. NC8 chambered exhaust used aluminized tailpipes only.

67-68 used short tailpipes that exited behind the rear wheels.
Learning more and more about less and less...

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:59:53 AM »
That's what mine is chrome tip welded on and out rear.
But I think you also answered what I was searching for at the last.
69 was only year and app it was run straight out back?
Brad
RSSS

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:14:50 AM »
Yes 69 only.
Learning more and more about less and less...