Author Topic: Carb. date code  (Read 7804 times)

gmein

• View Profile
Carb. date code
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
Want to correct my car with a correct carburetor and date code. Engine build date is 8/21/66, tranny build date is 8/19/66, axle build date is 9/26/66. Cowl tag is dated 10A, first week of October 1966, car was at the dealer on 10/8/66 and owner took possession on 10/12/66 as recorded in the Protection Plan and Warranty booklet. I do not have the original carburetor and for what they are costing, I only want to buy one once. Given the dates above, should I be entertaining a carburetor with a G6, H6 or J6 code. Trying to be realistic as to the engine being built and sent out with a carburetor on it, or did it get fitted after it went to Van Nuys. If it was fitted with the engine, I could see it having an early date being prior to the engine assembly date, lets say any of the three months would work.

So, maybe I should be asking how many folks out there can tell me what carbureator code is on their Oct. first week Van Nuys built  Camaro with the MV4 Rochester MN carburetor. There has got to be a few???????    Thanks to all participation and the forum.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Carb. date code
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
Trying to be realistic as to the engine being built and sent out with a carburetor on it, or did it get fitted after it went to Van Nuys.

The carburetor was added to the engine on the Van Nuys assembly line.

Paul

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
Thanks Paul,
I was not sure how that was how it happened and thanks for clearing that up. So then most likely Rochester had sent batches for the 327 engines that were getting the MN carbs. Now we need to find a few of these cars that were  built from middle September to middle October and see what codes were on them. Will wait for someone to chime in.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
No problem. When you have a minute, read JohnZ's report on the Camaro assembly process...

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

Paul

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
Don't know about Rochesters, but the 780 Holley on my 69 Z is dated 872, and build week of car is 10B, Oct 68. So second week of July carb ended up on 2nd week of Oct car.
Jimmy V.

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
Well I am being offered a carb and two are available, a G6 and an H6, want to pull the trigger but just cannot do it without more feedback or actual verification of outfitted cars. Staying around the August dates of the other components is entertaining but I did see a post where a fellow had a G9 carb on a 10B 69 Camaro. The G6 could work for me, was just wanting to hear from some late September- early October build examples. If another LOS built car shows its date or even a few of them, it would give me the opportunity to make a more sound decision. A little more help please????

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Well I am being offered a carb and two are available, a G6 and an H6, want to pull the trigger but just cannot do it without more feedback or actual verification of outfitted cars. Staying around the August dates of the other components is entertaining but I did see a post where a fellow had a G9 carb on a 10B 69 Camaro. The G6 could work for me, was just wanting to hear from some late September- early October build examples. If another LOS built car shows its date or even a few of them, it would give me the opportunity to make a more sound decision. A little more help please????

I would suggest purchase of the BEST carb you can find in that approx. 2-3 month window...  there was nothing 'fixed' or magical about the date gap...  as William and others have stated... parts were not FIFO...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
??????? Hmmmmm     "parts were not FIFO"   A little help on this one!   All I know is LOL, FWIW and  SWAG. But I can't SWAG this one. "FIFO" spell it out for me. I'm from the country. A DBO  "Ditch Bank Okie",   Daddy was from Dalhart, mama was from Muskogee.    Thanks again.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »
FIFO = First In First Out

;)

Paul

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
First In First Out [FIFO] has two meanings.

It is a common supply chain practice in industries that stock perishable raw or semi-finished materials; material has to be used in order of arrival to avoid spoilage or expiration dates.

In cost accounting it indicates the use of the latest material cost for cost roll and inventory valuation. Might not seem significant but many industries use precious metals that can vary greatly in cost in a short period of time.

While FIFO was not specifically practiced in auto assembly plants in the '60s, it was somewhat effectively accomplished as there was little space to pile up inventory. I have monitored Z/28 engine dates for some time. Not unusual, for example, to see a 10B built Z/28 with an earlier engine than a 10A build. Wasn't important so there was no need to do it.

Learning more and more about less and less...

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
Thanks, 1968RSZ28 and William, that helps to clarify the acronym and what can and does go on in the assembly process. I have another hobby regarding electrical equipment in which sometimes components are date coded two years prior to production. This typical of a company outsourcing and buying large volumes of inventory at a reduced or better pricing. Of course this showing older stock in a newer finished product.

Thanks guys,

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
 Keep in mind to that the month date letter can play in your favor because it is not known when during the month it was assembled.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »
Yeah Mike,
I can see where a late build G6 carb being built on Friday July 29th is as close to H6 being built  on Monday Aug. 1st and getting tagged for the month and either could still have been put into a 10A assembly built car. As 69Z28-RS stated, getting the best of the two in this 2-3 month window would be the way to go. Again as you and him are stating, nothing magical about the time frame here and that it plays in my favor by the build date being only stated as the month and no "DAY" is included in the tag.  Thanks 

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »
Thanks, 1968RSZ28 and William, that helps to clarify the acronym and what can and does go on in the assembly process. I have another hobby regarding electrical equipment in which sometimes components are date coded two years prior to production. This typical of a company outsourcing and buying large volumes of inventory at a reduced or better pricing. Of course this showing older stock in a newer finished product.

Thanks guys,

I was a production planner for a company that built electronic drive panels for a large HVAC customer. They would order some panels for quality audits; tear them down for 100% inspection. They wanted to know why we were using components that were several months old. Obviously they knew nothing about global sourcing. 90-120 day lead times are the norm so you better have stock to cover. When the parts arrive they are 2-3 months old. You can't afford to fly everything in so it ships ocean; sits in the port for weeks waiting to unload. They weren't happy but we did not get dinged for it. Two year old inventory would never be acceptable in that industry.
Learning more and more about less and less...

gmein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
William, I understand todays production process somewhat, outsourcing worldwide, JIT deliveries and meeting ISO standards. The hobby I was speaking of was electrical equipment manufactured in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Most of the product was made here domestically. I was speaking of hard parts like switches, diodes, potentiometers, transformers and chokes. And of course the production world has changed and I do see your position. True it is, any product sitting in bins or on the shelf are degrading as the hours pass by. The company I am specifically talking about was known for this kind of buying tactics, whatever was cheap and the best deal at the time. And Clarence Leo Fender as a radio man built an American icon from this type of management. He even used product from the US auto industry. All amplifiers from about 1961 forward were covered with the General Tire and Rubber Company "Tolex" fabric, the same material that the big three were using as their vinyl top coverings. Anyhow, I am not responding harshly and you made good points. I just had to differentiate your point of todays manufacturing standards as to some from the past. Great topic though!