Author Topic: Air Cleaner Decal and Olympic Gold Z in July 2015 MCR  (Read 2918 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Air Cleaner Decal and Olympic Gold Z in July 2015 MCR
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
I always enjoy Muscle Car Review when it arrives over here, although there's a fair delay in receiving the latest issue due to surface mail.
Anyway, I was just reading about the unrestored Olympic Gold Z/28 in the July 2015 issue. The article states that when the car was uncovered, the open-element air cleaner was devoid of decals. "Not all of the cars had decals" said (Michael) Lightbourn.
I understand that Michael Lightbourn is a well-known hunter of rare and collectible cars from El Paso TX, and acquired this car a few years after the original owner passed away.
This comment about some cars not receiving air cleaner decals is not something I have come across before, and I thought I would ask if anyone else had heard of it, rather than just dismiss it as incorrect (with no disrespect to Mr Lightbourn).
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Air Cleaner Decal and Olympic Gold Z in July 2015 MCR
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
There was a discussion on this or similar car over on SYC.  There were a few cars (ZL1's) and a Z that were known not to have them from the factory.  Personally, I think it would have been rare for the decal to have been missed or forgotten but almost anything is/was possible.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
People who saw the car stated remnants of the decal were visible on the lid. However as Darrell stated some cars are known to have been built without decals. Vintage road test photos show the January '69 Hot Rod Z/28 didn't have one.

ZL-1s were a bit different. Based on Chevy build info they were to receive just the 427 crossed flags. Vintage photos of #5 show no decal.

Learning more and more about less and less...

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Great, thanks for the info. Love this site, learn something new each visit!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

anything