Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2304 times)

Rick Iverson

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »
Gents;

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Richard (Rick) C. Iverson Jr., CW5 (AUS Retired). I am a combat wounded Vietnam Airborne Infantryman (70-71) as well as an Operation Iraqi Freedom (08-09) ‘Dustoff’ pilot. I retired from a forty-one year military as Instructor Pilot/Aviation Safety Officer on 29 Feb 10. My wife and I have since moved to Florida from East Gull Lake, Minnesota, and have recently celebrated the birth of our second grandchild.

I have owned:

- L76 1963 Tuxedo Black Corvette Roadster. I bought this car for $600 on 17 Dec 1972.

- L71 1967 Goodwood Green Corvette Coupe. I traded the Roadster + $800 for the 435/427 two years later. Sold it for $1800 two years later, and thought I had made a fortune.

- L68 1967 Maroon Coupe. Regrettably, I sold it for a fraction of its value four years ago. Nice no hit car, but no documentation.

At sixty-six, I would like to get into another mid year, but the prices are outrageous and the DoD keeps us on wiener water soup.  BUT, I have found a 1968 Z28, P-O-P, window sticker, Corvette Orange (now red), original driveline etc.  Badly needs restoration, and an earlier restoration the body was 'dipped' resulting in the cowl tag(s) destroyed.  Can it be duplicated with the documentation available?

VR

Iverson

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
If the docs. and stamping s are real the missing trim plate is not a huge deal. Still better to have it. The window sticker tell the story on the car. In 68 the trim plate did not indicate much. Build date, paint etc. 67 Tags were much more informative.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Rick Iverson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
Steve;

Thank you for the information.  Is there a was to deduce the build date from the sequence number?  According to my research, there were 7,194 Sport Coupes with Regular Production Option (RPO) Z28 produced.  Is there a way to identify the build date from the last VIN sequence numbers as L337xxx?

V/r

Iverson

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
First, Rick, a big welcome! Thank you for your selfless service that allow us to FREELY enjoy our hobbies.
To answer your question about discerning the build date by the VIN sequence. The answer is yes. http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany

You also can send $50 to NCRS and they will tell you the exact build date, plus the ordering dealer.

I will comment on the trim tag and an idea I feel has merit. With so much made over TTs, many Camaro guys look over the TT (mostly out of habit)at shows and prospective buyers will look at the tag. Most will not be able to discern that it is a repo, but an appraiser and, down the road, a potential buyer could post a pic on this site and the comments will flow.
I propose an alternate idea. Have a plate made the size of the TT inscribed that states that the original plate is gone due to an unfortunate, careless restoration years ago. You could still provide the other info on the tag IE:build date, color. There really is not much on the 68 TT ,as mentioned in the previous post, and nothing to ID the car as a Z or anything else. This new tag's inscription can be done by any trophy shop. You can end with an inscription, "this is a REAL Z". This would probably get more conversation and explains some of the car's past. Plus, does not raise a flag of impropriety. Good luck.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

anything