Author Topic: Inner Fender Installation  (Read 8481 times)

Mr 396

• View Profile
Inner Fender Installation
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »
I have the fenders on my 68 and need to now install the inner fenders. My painter left them out and now I wonder what is the best way to install. Does not look like a straight forward process. What are the steps I need to take?

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Inner Fender Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »
 If it were my car I would remove the fenders to install them. You are almost guaranteed to scratch the paint and/or completely scratch the paint of the wheel opening edges (thus exposing to rust) if you try to install them any other way.
Tape and cover the fender and door front edges with a thin foam to protect the them. Mark the spacers when taking them off so you can put them back to the same locations. Also, the inner fender may change the outer fender gaps due to skewing the fender sheet metal when bolted (personal experience here).

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Totally agree - removing the fenders is by far the safest way to ensure that you don't damage anything.

You might even want to consider going back to your painter / body shop and let them do it - at no charge.  IMO they should have known that inner fenders would be an issue if not installed with the fenders.

Good luck

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mr 396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
Thanks. I was afraid that was what was needed.

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
X3, sorry about that. You will have fits trying to install them with the fenders on. You can do it on Nova and Chevelle because the fender laps over the inner differently. Tape all the edges with a couple layers and use good tape. It won't be that bad.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
If you are concerned about rear fender,front door damage I usually use small rubber hose 5/16 or so,cut it down the center & wrap it around those edges. It will stay in place while installing of removing fenders.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:11:48 PM »
If you are concerned about rear fender,front door damage I usually use small rubber hose 5/16 or so,cut it down the center & wrap it around those edges. It will stay in place while installing of removing fenders.
  That is an excellent idea!

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
I had to remove my heater box on my freshly painted Camaro.  I removed the hood and pass side fender (and inner).  Fixed my issue, taped up the edges, reinstalled them (with better alignment) without scratching anything.  Taking your time, protecting surfaces and getting help are key. 

anything