Author Topic: Under My N34 simulated Wood Wheel  (Read 3938 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Under My N34 simulated Wood Wheel
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
I decided since I can't work for a few more days, I would pull my N34 steering wheel and fix my frozen flasher button and maybe even get the horns working. I think I screwed up. It's very hard to explain sometimes with an email but here it goes.
 I could not get the very last deepest plastic piece out with out prying all the wires under the little plastic L shaped holder. It's the piece with all the wires attached. Got the piece to come out, cleaned the button assembly area and it moves back and forth freely now. But now I can't get all the wires back up inside that L clip. You know if the shaft coming up thru the middle wasn't there, I could scoop all the wires back in to place. I noticed a C-clip on the steering shaft. If I pop that does that shaft come out the top? Then I can tuck the wires back under the clip and hold it to the side and replace the shaft and C-clip.
 Another issue is when I tipped the assembly over to check it out, a Baby brass roll pin fell out on the edge of the seat. I didn't see it, but I heard it hit the seat. Might have had what looked like a small amount of grease to hold, which held it in place on the top front of the seat. Does that go back into that little hole? It seems like it fits right in there, but is there a spring behind it? Or do I just push it in that hole and it's good? It's the only hole there.
 Also when I tried to put those 3 shoulder special screws back in, they just spun, and never got tight. I could see the small holes lined up at the bottom of each hole. But when I tried to screw they just spun, and would not tighten? Did some plate behind it fall back?
 I guess I better check the AIM, getting late now. Anybody have any pictures of the break down of this area, with an explanation? I can take some pictures if I have to, but thought before I call it a night, I would run this by everyone and see what happens.  Frustrating!! 2am  >:(   Danny

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Under My N34 simulated Wood Wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
What a pain Danny. It may help to post a pic of what you are looking at. Some of those items mentioned seem familiar , a pic would go a long way.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
Ok, took some pic's. Hopefully someone will be able to figure it out.
 Do I pull the screws from under the column? And push the harness wires up, hook them in that little clip, then push them back down in and make it up? Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
more

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 01:33:14 AM »
Well I have answered one of my own questions, AND seems I have screwed myself even deeper...
I did push the slack from the harness up, and was able to hook all the wires in the correct location... BUT!!
I looked inside closely and seen a small spring laying in the bottom of the upper column collar. So I pulled the C-clip and pulled that pot metal piece with the bearing in the center. I retrieved the 3 springs. And am now wondering how in the samhell am I going to get this whole assembly back together. I guess we all learn the same way. I hope some one chimes in and gives me the sequence of events.. D

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:42:01 AM »
I hope some one chimes in and gives me the sequence of events.. D

Danny,

The disassembly and assembly of the steering column is outlined (step by step with illustrations) in Section 9 of the 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual.

Paul

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
I found my original chassis service manual I bought about 15 years ago. Front right bottom cover says ST 130-68. Inside copyright 1967. That was a good find... I see the section. Will read today...  Oh and thanx.. D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:17 AM »
Ok, so I just read the whole thing. It helps a little I guess. Looks like I have a broken plastic tab on the front plastic part. Tried to glue it, to small to hold. Not enough surface area. So I need to find that part before I begin my reassembly.  On page 9-15 it shows a breakdown of the column parts. But doesn't seem to show the part I have with the broken tab. Maybe it's part of the turn signal switch assembly. I will post a picture... D