Author Topic: Idle stop solenoid  (Read 5144 times)

CMRO

• View Profile
Idle stop solenoid
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:00:52 AM »
I'm looking for an Idle Stop Solenoid for a 17057020 Monojet 1977 Camaro, Chevelle/ Nova, El Camino or Sprint. you should see the mess they rigged up in lieu of proper equipment. 

CMRO

• View Profile
Re: Idle stop solenoid
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:13:34 AM »
scored one

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »
That's the one advantage of L6 parts - they are often still around. Just gotta search hard.
Kurt S
CRG

russja01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Hey there, I've also got a question about the idle stop solenoid. I've got the 210hp 327 Convertible WITHOUT A/C, and I've got the idle stop solenoid. I've seen several threads claiming that it was entirely for the A/C purpose, and a few which say it has nothing to do with A/C at all.
It has obviously been broken as the plunger moves freely and doesn't even seem to really touch the throttle as it looks too far away from it, but the car runs great.

So, if the solenoid was used only for A/C then why was it fitted to the car, and if not, for what purpose is it there?

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
Weren't these used to solve run-on or "dieseling"? If I'm remembering correctly, having A/C wouldn't matter, as it allowed the throttle to close (more) completely when the ignition was turned off. But I've slept since then...
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

CMRO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »
I traced back the wiring diagram to explore this issue. The solenoid is energized by the ignition, so it is a anti-dieseling and potentially more important on AC cars due to the higher idle RPM and loading issues.

anything