Author Topic: Which way is correct for the houndstooth pattern on seats?  (Read 5869 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Which way is correct for the houndstooth pattern on seats?
« on: June 14, 2015, 05:14:58 AM »
Hey guys,
I think I know the answer, and it is horizontal.  As in the rombuses (rombi?) long sides go left to right, and they are connected horizontally.  I ordered a a complete set from Ricks that ordered them from Distinctive interiors and within this set, I have the houndstooth running both vertical and horizontal.  On top of this, the houndstooth on some of the seats is not straight, and run in a slight diagonal.

Anyway, thought I would ask and see if anyone else has this issue.  I even wonder if this post here is going to make more than a few Camaro owners upset in finding out that their houndstooth seats have been incorrect this whole time.

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Which way is correct for the houndstooth pattern on seats?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
I always buy houndstooth covers from Al Knoch so I've never seen this problem...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »
They (the long side of the box) go up and down on the vertical parts of the seats and front to back on the horizontal parts.  The angled lines come off the top left (facing the material - passenger side of car installed) and goes down, and the other one comes off the bottom right (facing the fmaterial) and goes up on the vertical sections.  Top side referenced above would be the joint between the seat and the seat back on the horizontal parts.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
I'm not sure I understood the verbal description, but here's a photo or two of my 'faded' original (passenger seat - which is in better condition than the drivers side)...  Maybe photos will help....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »
Here are some pics of what I was sent by Classic Industries.  Sadly, both front seats were done by my interior guy as he is not a Camaro guy, and he only caught it when he went to do the rear seat, and noticed the pattern was different from the bottom and backrest.  Now, the interior shop has to undo all of their work, and redo it again, as well as the fact that I was supposed to have all the seats done today, but instead, will have to wait a week for CI to send new seat covers.  Also, the interior shop has a ton of scheduled work and if I can't get the new covers to them by the end of the week, they will have to do their other work and put me off for a few weeks.  That is going to suck for me.  Hopefully, CI will make some token of amends at least, as I should not be expected to take the full hit on this..should I.

I will see what happens and post it here so it can be seen how good of a company Classic Industries really is.  Any company can say how great they are as long as things go fine.  But a real test of a quality company comes when things go wrong.  Especially something like this, where the mistake is theirs.  Let's see if they do the right thing here.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
Now I get it!  I will have to check my old Al Knoch HT covers to see if they line up properly.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
I've never previously compared the direction of the 'houndstooth' pattern from original to reproduction, but in the past when I checked out reproduction covers, even the number of seams were incorrect in the repros...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

basecoupe#79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »
Which company was it from? Ricks or CI.  Your first post states you got them from Ricks.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
I've never seen this problem before.  I get my stuff from Legendary.  Seams, stitching, patterns, are always spot on.

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:27 AM »
Did everything work out on the seat covers ?

anything