Author Topic: Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions.  (Read 3645 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions.
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
I have three questions concerning the mounting of the fuse block / bulkhead to the inside of firewall and then the attachment of the engine and front light wiring harnesses to the bulkhead on the engine side.

1) The connector plugs on the ends of the engine and front light wiring harnesses fit into each other and then both are attached to the bulkhead with one bolt. My question is....what does that bolt thread into? Whatever was on the backside of my bulkhead is gone. When I spread the fuseblock and bulkhead apart, all I see on the back of the bulkhead is the round hole in the plastic for the bolt to go through and nothing else. I would have thought there would be some kind of "captured" nut back there. (See the first two photos)

2) The third photo is from the AIM showing the attachment of the fuse block / bulkhead to the firewall. In View-A, it shows sealant to be applied but I am not sure to where. First off, what kind of sealer would that be? And does it go on the entire foam gasket to seal the gasket to the inside of of the firewall and then help seal the wiring harness connectors to the gasket? When I took this apart, I didn't see any evidence of any kind of sealer.

3) And lastly, the two long screws that attach the fuse block / bulkhead to the firewall. They came with sealer on the threads After having been threaded in once already, part of that sealer is gone. If I just replace the missing sealer with strip caulk, will that seal just as well?

Thanks.....Dave

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Fuse block, wiring harness connection questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 03:39:09 AM »
Take a poke over at TC. I posted a few photos there.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
I can't say anything about the sealer but the bolt in the center of the bulkhead connector goes through the connector from the engine compartment and bolts into the center rear of the fuse box. Then the fuse box is connected to the firewall with two screws from the passenger compartment.

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
When I did my engine compartment restoration about 10 yrs ago I used dielectric grease (available in a tube at any parts house) on all of the internall connections as well as around the edge of the fuse box as a moisture deterrent.  I highly recommend this - good insurance - and not just for the fuse block, but good practice for any of the wiring harness connectors in general.

Not sure if this is the "sealant" referred to or not in the AIM, but good practice anyway
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

anything