Author Topic: Convertible Tops and Boots - Which Ones Are Best?  (Read 1916 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Convertible Tops and Boots - Which Ones Are Best?
« on: June 06, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »
Hey guys,

My pace car is in need of a new top and boot.  I still have my factory original boot, but it is 45 years old now, and no longer looks and functions as it used to.

Who makes the best top and what do you guys recommend?  Also, I see there are several options for top boots, and I am confused as to which one is best.  Classic Industries has three different offering just within their choices.  Which one is best?  Which manufacturer makes one that will fit properly, and withstand being installed with 60 mph winds?  Are the aftermarket boots the same thickness, and are the clips any good?

Finally, I have a white well liner to match my white top.  I am unsure, but is black or white proper for the 69 pace car? 

Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.  Also, I am going to install this myself, so if anyone has any tips, tricks, or hints, that they think I should know when installing this myself, please share it with me.  If you have installed a convertible top yourself, what info do you have that you wished someone had shared with you prior to your installation.

As always, thanks guys.

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Convertible Tops and Boots - Which Ones Are Best?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »
I haven't bought a new top in many years, so will be interested in the answer!  A recent top boot repro was just OK.  Whatever you do, stick with the factory 32oz weight, thicker weight effect stack heights. Pretty sure the well liner should be black.

Read this for the top install! :) http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210413

I have not done a 69 top yet, I have done a Spitfire, 3rd gen Camaro and fixed the trim sticks on a 66 Pontiac and 69 camaro.  Finicky work to say the least.