Author Topic: Rally Wheel Evaporust Treatment  (Read 2524 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Rally Wheel Evaporust Treatment
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »
I have discovered when using evaporust that there is some boundaries that have to be considered. If you wanna just clean it up you can soak the item for a few hours. If it is bare metal then go for it. But if it's painted and you want to save the paint... you have to monitor very closely. The wheel in the pictures is exactly at 24 hours of treatment submerged. If you leave the wheels in to long it WILL start lifting paint. It will not get what I call DEEP veined rust out of paint. It just can't do it. I treated all 4 of my original wheels. And while they turned out much better than when started, they still have rust. And if you try to lightly wipe that rust out of the paint, it will take the paint right off. You have to pull it from the treatment and water mist it down to neutralize the solution. Evaporust is a great product, but it WILL lift certain paints right off the metal if you are not careful. See pictures before and after... Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: Rally Wheel Evaporust Treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
Same wheel after 24 hours in treatment. Some paint went away, but overall a nice finished product for what it is... Again, if you leave it in for 2 or 3 days, paint will disappear. You got an old rusty chain or other bare metal that is super rusty, just drop it in and check it days later, and it will be great.  D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
The black on the back of the rim was apparently mostly rusted, so it took it down in places cause there was virtually no paint left there anyway. See the factory " 22 " writing on the inside of the rim. I knew it was there, see it in the 5:30 position in before treatment pic.... but NOW you can really see it. It's a trade off... D

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
Interesting stuff Danny, keep the pics of progress coming - you've got my attention!  :)
I'm also in the process of rally rim refurb. Doing some test paint sprays [2 pack] atm on a junk rim.

There's a company here in Perth, Australia [Able Westchem] that has a product called rust evaporator which may be the same or very similar to evaporust. Must get some and give it a try.
http://www.westchem.com.au/sites/westchemcomau/assets/public/File/RUST%20EVAPORATOR%20WC1003%20-%20INFO.pdf

I'm prepping a couple of other rally rims for a full test run. So far I've stripped all the old paint off [except for some 'pooling black'], ripped the surface of all scale with neat hydrochloric acid [very fast!!], heavily flushed with water, immediate compressed air dry then treat for 30 mins with por15 metal ready followed by another flushing and compressed air dry.
The metal ready leaves a nice, slightly blackened phosphate surface that's free of flash rust.

I'll be posting up pics of my progress soon, but might be a wee while as I'm also in the process of refurbing some Momo Star wheels.
Having to rehearse my spray technique of 2 pack c.o.b. AM94 extra course aluminium to get my flip/flop/face just right.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55