Author Topic: 1968 RS/SS  (Read 17514 times)

68RS/SS

• View Profile
1968 RS/SS
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:57 AM »
Hey all! This is my first post here, so please take it easy on me  :)

So I just bought a 1968 camaro. It is an RS for sure, but the owner swore up and down that it is an RS/SS. According to the VIN, it was a v8 car originally. I didn't pay any more in price than I would for a normal RS, I just want to find out if I maybe got lucky and bagged an RS/SS. It has SS badging on front and rear, but as you guys know, that's an easy way to trick someone. This car is a barn find, it has been sitting since 1984. So it definitely needs some work, but is all in all mostly all there.

First off, the original engine is not in the car. I ran the numbers, and it has a 350 from 1975 for chevy trucks. The transmission is not in the car, but the seller gave me an M20 muncie, saying that the original owners before him said it was the stock transmission for the car. I ran the numbers, and the VIN on my car doesnt match the code on the transmission, so I don't think it is the stock one However, I am excited by the fact that the speedo cable IS routed through the hole on the right side on the steering column. So I'm almost certain that this car did originally come with a muncie, which could mean it's an SS?

However, it does have a 10 bolt rearend, and I know that SS cares came with 12 bolts. But, I cant tell for sure if it is the stock one or not, since I cant find the ID on the axle tube. I don't THINK it is the stock rear end, since the casting number is 9796019 or 9798019, I cant tell due to rust. As far as I know, no stock rear ends for first gen camaros came with those casting numbers. Any idea?

The steering wheel does have the SS350 cap, and the car does have dual exhaust.

Another weird thing, the interior is the black deluxe option, but the trim tagsays it came with standard. However, everything is deluxe, including door panels? Weird. The previous owners probably just switched the interior to deluxe, but have you guys ever heard of errors on cowl tags? The car also doesn't have a factory tach, but after some research, I found that isn't a deal breaker for an SS.

I know how hard it is to ID a 1968 SS without the original engine, but I think I have enough visual clues to help make a 60% sure guess whether it's an SS or not. I'm thinking that is an RS/SS because of the Muncie speedo hole and dual exhaust. I may just be hoping it's an SS, so that's why I'm asking you experts.  ;)

Sorry for the long post, thanks everyone!

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: 1968 RS/SS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
Welcome.  Pictures will help.  But it sounds like you are covering all the standard bases..  As for the RS option you and look for the grommet for the hoses going to the switch.  Also look at the tire pressure sticker on the glove box door.  Cant remember if they are same as the standard base V8; but I dont think they are..

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
Welcome-first! I am impressed. It sounds like you have done quite a bit of your own research on the site before joining, and that is great. Sounds like you are destined to be a true 1st Gen. Camaro enthusiast.  Keep it up. You are going to find some fascinating, knowledgable, great guys (gals) here,on CRG. Take cook dw, rumor has it when he was born, he had his own trim tag in his hand (not sure where they riveted it to him),lol! Seriously, all the description and speculation in the world iwill not prove a thing. Evidence, in the form of posted pics will be essential for the experts, here, to make a definitive assesment about your cherished ride (project). Camaros, especially 67-9, are the most "morphed" or modified car ever, IMO, and, add 47 years since it rolled off the line...who knows without pictures of certain areas what you have?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
68RS/SS,
   A SS350 cap would only have came on a early 1967 SS. Does the dash have the deluxe trim running along/below the dash pad? SS hood? Drilled or peirced muncie hole? Pictures would be the best option here.
      Good luck,
         VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
A trim tag error for the interior would be rare. Is there a grab handle above the glove box?

68RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
Thanks everybody for your replys! And I'm thinking it may have been originally a standard interior, since there is no grab handle above glove box. It does not have the SS hood, it has a flat hood, but the colors don't match, so it's not the hood that came with the car. The Muncie hole looks completely stock, not done By PO.

I'll look in the glove box for the tire sticker. So if that steering wheel cap is not stock? That's what I though too, it looked a little off.

I made an interesting discovery too, regarding the heater box cover. The hoses are coming out of the middle of the cover, whic from which I understand, was used for big block engines due to their offset. I find it hard to believe that someone would change out a heater box cover, is this a possible clue that the car could have came with a big block? Again I may just be dreaming

I'm trying to see if the tail panel is blacked out, but the car has been repainted so many times that I can't tell for sure. I DO see black in the taillight panel under some crappy repaint. It is somewhat shiny, semigloss. So I don't know if it I'td be the semigloss black paint, or just primer. Does anyone know the stock primer colors? Sorry if that's a little bit of a weird question.

Again, thanks everyone for you help!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
Post a pic of the main fuel line where it routes up to the pump.

Also look at your crossmember.  SB & BB are different.

http://www.camaros.org/trans.shtml#Crossmembers

68RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
I would if I could, but It looks like when the PO put the non stock engine in, he didn't have a fuel pump attached to the motor. So I don't belive that there are fuel lines on the car, he may have been in the process of replacing them. What would those have shown? Would double lines have meant a 396 motor was in the car?

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
Are rear springs leaf or mono?  SS should have leaf.   It see if your car may have originally had a SS hood, check the hood springs....SS springs were different (more coils).  Check CRG web site posts & you can get more info on these springs.

68RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
Thanks! And they are leaf springs. I think the rear end may have been replaced though, since I can't find it's casting number anywhere regarding first gen camaros, and it's a 10 bolt. I'll let you know what I find out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:02:00 PM by 68RS/SS »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
I would if I could, but It looks like when the PO put the non stock engine in, he didn't have a fuel pump attached to the motor. So I don't belive that there are fuel lines on the car, he may have been in the process of replacing them. What would those have shown? Would double lines have meant a 396 motor was in the car?

Ok take a pic of the pass side engine frame mount.

68RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
K, will do. Thanks!

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
68RS / SS,
  Also check the raidiator size (and shroud) If it's gone, look for usage around the mounting holes (bolt marks). BB crossmembers will have a D shapped port for the trans. mounting bolts, SB will be oval and the holes will be centered.
   If it still has a clutch Z bar see how long it is, BB and SB are different. the SS 350 cap only fits a standard wheel. Points or HEI ? Did the swapper use the original distributor? There is a standard red on red with black vinyl 68 out there with a    BB heater that my brother converted in the early 80's (thats what we had on hand at the time)  that is going to drive somebody crazy, or already has, thinking it is something special.
      Good luck,
             VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

68RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 04:40:30 AM »
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay, work's been crazy lately. So I counted the hood spring coils, and there are 28 coils on each one. After some research, that would be correct for an SS hood. So I'm feeling pretty good so far. It also has the proportioning valve under the driver's seat near the frame rail, which was for higher performance cars. I also noticed some white chalk looking writing on the inside lip of the front sheet metal, near the radiator support. "SS" is written  in the faded chalk writing. I've heard that on occasion, assembly line workers wrote down notes on cars as they went down the line. Not using this a definitive evidence for it being an SS, but the writing is interesting.

Also, I found the tire sticker in the glove box door. I'm not sure if the door is original or not, since it's faded differently than the rest of the interior, and the glove box itself is missing. But from what is left of the sticker, it says "AG" in the bow tie. I heard SS cars have "AH". If this was the original glove box door, would that be definitive evidence to say my car isn't an SS? I feel it shouldn't be, since I have a lot of the other subtle SS markings in the car.

I will try and measure the frame motor mounts tomorrow to see if it is BB or SB.

So far, here is my "evidence" for the case of it being an SS car:

Stock Muncie hole in firewall
Big Block heater core
Brake proportioning valve under drivers seat on frame rail
stock dual exhaust
SS hood springs
Very patina "SS" gas cap, does not look new at all

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
<< Also, I found the tire sticker in the glove box door. I'm not sure if the door is original or not, since it's faded differently than the rest of the interior >>

That's not unusual - the steel dash panel was painted by Fisher Body in the main Paint Shop, and the glove box door was a Chevrolet part, painted in a special small-parts spray booth in the Chevrolet Trim Shop (along with the ash tray, steering column, and other small parts). Color and gloss match between the Fisher-painted dash and the Chevrolet-painted glove box door varied greatly, and they aged differently.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything