Author Topic: 1967 L78 MQ versus MR Production  (Read 2980 times)

twol78s

• View Profile
1967 L78 MQ versus MR Production
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
Hello, all,

Perhaps I've just not found the information in my searches, but I don't seem to be able to find anything relating to the number of MQ (non-smog) versus MR (smog-code) L78 engines produced for Camaro in 1967.

I've seen figures that say that about 25% of total '67 L78 Camaro production was done at Van Nuys, which would have been roughly 280 cars, and I'd suspect that the vast majority of these (90%?) would have ended up with MR-coded engines in them, which would be just about 250 cars.   Problem is, these numbers are just supposition.  I'm wondering if anyone has run across actual figures.

Given that many of the cars destined for California (which, in '67, required an Air Injection Reactor system to meet California Emissions requirements) were built at the Van Nuys plant, it would make sense that the vast majority of the MR-code L78-equipped '67 Camaros would have ended up being put together in Van Nuys, although it's certainly possible that some Norwood-built '67 MR-coded L78 Camaros could have been built, with their destination dealership being somewhere in California.

Has anyone come across any MR-coded '67 L78 Camaros built at Norwood?  I venture to guess that there weren't very many of these made.

What, if any, differences were there in the smog system/exhaust manifolds between L78 and L35 smog-equipped engines?

If this has been answered before, my apologies.  If so, I'd appreciate pointers to where I might be able to find this information.

Keep the cars Shiny-Side-Up!

-Rick

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: 1967 L78 MQ versus MR Production
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
For differences between L35 and L78, a good start would be UPC K19, Sheets A16 thru A18 in the 67 AIM.  Possibly also some stuff under UPC K24 if stated.  It's my understanding that anything not detailed in the AIM, such as exhaust manifolds check valves and air tubes, would have been installed at the engine plant so you'll need input from someone familiar with BBCs.    

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »
I know for sure that at least 1 MQ car was built at VN and shipped as far as IL. So there must be more built and shipped closer.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
  It's my understanding that anything not detailed in the AIM, such as exhaust manifolds check valves and air tubes, would have been installed at the engine plant so you'll need input from someone familiar with BBCs.   

The air tubes, hoses, and check valves and pump mounting brackets were all installed at the car assembly plants; the engine was "bare-naked" when it left the engine plant. It had the correct K-19 exhaust manifolds, distributor, and RH valve cover, but that's it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG