Author Topic: Camaro 1969 SCCA homologation sheet  (Read 5574 times)

eb911

• View Profile
Camaro 1969 SCCA homologation sheet
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
I have received the book "Camaro untold secrets 1967-1969" and interestingly there is a copy of the 1969 SCCA homologation sheet for the Camaro.
There are several mysterious parts listed as the alloy cylinder head or the roller rocker assy, but also something I am very interested in : the optional 12" Girling brake system.

It seems the parts were never available from GM but the Girling brakes are listed as an HD option on the homologation sheet. Specs are cast iron 12" discs with four pistons (1. 1/2 inch).

It seems Girling brakes had been used on other TransAm cars like the Javelins, but do you know if this system has ever been used in TA on a first Gen Camaro ?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Camaro 1969 SCCA homologation sheet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
In '69 the SCCA was still requiring you to use brakes that were available on the cars or via the parts counter. 1970 was the first year that the SCCA allowed aftermarket brakes such as Girling and Hurst-Airheart to be used, including on the earlier model cars.
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
Thank you Jon.

This is very interesting. I guess the Girling would be superior to the JL8 but is there any mean to get a proof they have been used on a first gen Camaro back in the days ?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
As I understand it, Chevrolet's 'brakes' were one of their advantages during their winning '68/69 seasons, but of course AMC won the '70 series *(using the Girling or some other HD brakes?)...  Was the TA brake spec changes one of the reasons for the change from Chevy domination to the AMC win?

PS.  I don't think many of the '68/69 TransAm Camaros ran the 'factory installed' JL8 brakes; instead they ran the OTC service duty rear with it's heavier axles, bearings, and Positraction unit (along with the Corvette-type front brakes to go with it) during the '68/69 seasons.  If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will correct me.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:26:32 AM »
Ford was T/A champ in '70.... AMC was second, then won in '71 and '72...... JL8 brakes are no different, except J56 calipers have insulated pucks and a "dual-pin" pad reta iner; this was required for the "curved or bent over" J56 pad. This lip on the pad backing plate resisted warping from the heat.  It's a simple mod that can be done do any Corvette {JL8) caliper.    Some pics I've seen of '70 Penske Javelin looks like '69 Ford/Lincoln Boss stuff. Donohue often refers to running Girlings, and may have, I just have never seen a good pic. His booster/proportioning system was Girling.   Boss stuff (maybe just late in the season) was super-rare Kelsey Hayes floating caliper, dual piston stuff much like many modern setups today, complete with directional rotors.. ( search on Boss302.com)......   Titus' T/A and Posey's Challenger ran the huge cast one-piece Hurst/Airhearts..    Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:59 AM »
Thank you Jon.

This is very interesting. I guess the Girling would be superior to the JL8 but is there any mean to get a proof they have been used on a first gen Camaro back in the days ?

I'm not sure I will be able to find a picture of a Girling caliper on a '67 Camaro in Trans-Am but if you look in the rule book thread, http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7850.0 , the SCCA GCR's say under 6.1.a Automobile Eligibility, line 1 a, your '67 Camaro is an eligible FIA and Trans-Am car. Under section H) Brakes, line 7 says the type of brakes you use are free (unrestricted) as long as they are mounted in the stock location.
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »
Thanks for your inputs.

My idea is if I modifiy my car to Girlings, the FIA will require a proof that the system has been used in period. That might not be easy.

What's more, I don't have any idea on how the Girling would be better than the JL8 ?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:58 AM »
On paper, the Girlings had a slightly larger rotor than the Corvette piece for more swept area based off an equivalently sized brake pad. The Girling and Hurst-Airheart calipers would also be lighter than the cast-iron Corvette, hence improving unsprung weight.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything