Author Topic: owner history?  (Read 4599 times)

1968z28

• View Profile
owner history?
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
is there a way to get all owners history for a pre-1981 vehicle with the VIN?  i tried my county clerk but they would only give me last owner the vehicle was registered to.
thanks
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:01:18 PM by 1968z28 »

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: owner history?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
What state?

1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »
tennessee but 1 of the owners may have moved out of state.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
When the ZL1 and Yenko Camaro VINs became known in the ‘80s I and several others spent much time and money trying to locate the cars. Learned a lot about the title/registration process; the fundamental problem was each state was free to do it as they pleased. Several states didn’t even issue titles; some southern states registered cars by county. Some states kept perpetual records; some only went back 10 years or so. If an owner stops registering the car it will drop off the file after a period of time. Also, it is not uncommon for cars to be repeatedly sold on an open title. You may locate the owner of record who will have no idea where the car is. Hard to believe but even the feds couldn’t necessarily locate a vehicle in those days. Back then the records, such as they were, were mostly open to anyone. If you knew what state the car was in you sent in a few bucks and they mailed a copy of the last registration. If you didn’t know the state, a friendly peace office could run the VIN on NCIC and maybe find the car.

Well that was then. Remember 40+ years ago was the Stone Age of computer technology; the records were on mag tape no one can access any longer. There was a stalking incident in CA that involved the use of DMV records. As a result CA and other states closed the records to private individuals. ‘Casual’ NCIC inquiry is no longer possible so that door is closed. And there is little reason to maintain vehicle registration data for 10 years so states most don’t. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. No harm in asking.

But, good news. Today most cars are mobile hot spots. If the battery is hooked up someone always knows where a car is. And thanks to GPS tracking, where it has been. Isn’t technology great? 
Learning more and more about less and less...

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
As William stated it is very hard to get state title history any longer. The only two states that I know of at this time that will still give full title history even back to new (if it was purchased new in that state) is Kansas and North Carolina. Most don't offer the service any longer. Like said, it sure doesn't hurt to call the DMV and ask.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:50:45 PM by 6667ss138 »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Len glad you brought that up. Title and registration are not the same thing. In WI at one time you could title a car but not register it, handy for a parts car stored on your property. If you are certain of the state a car is in ask for both. I missed a Yenko that was titled here but had not been registered in many years.
Learning more and more about less and less...

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
tennessee but 1 of the owners may have moved out of state.

Up to a few years ago, Tennessee DOT would give you every piece of paper associated with the car from the time it entered the state, including title history, registrations, dealer paperwork if it was sold new in state - for a $5 fee. It moved some time ago to $15; they started redacting the names, and now they won't go to the archives and look (they say we don't have the manpower or overtime to do it). You can still get current title history, but no look up in the microfiche files. Bummer -

The state gave me two of mine over the years, both Z28's, complete right back to the dealer invoices and MSO's. I researched many other cars over the years, and really hate the fact that the State quit providing the old histories.

Regards -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

wisemanz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

The state gave me two of mine over the years, both Z28's, complete right back to the dealer invoices and MSO's. I researched many other cars over the years, and really hate the fact that the State quit providing the old histories.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I agree, I have a 1969 Z28. I know thru my NCIS report that it was ordered by a dealership in Grand Rapids Mi., and I also know of prior ownership in Wisconsin. I've tried getting info from Wisconsin's DMV but to no avail.  Frustrating

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
is there a way to get all owners history for a pre-1981 vehicle with the VIN?  i tried my county clerk but they would only give me last owner the vehicle was registered to.
thanks

I should have mentioned - if you are close to Nashville, go to the DOT office in Metro Center with a title, and request the history from them. They'll give you what they have up to the limits of the computer, and the names/addresses will be redacted, but at least you might be able to tell how long it's been in the state. My '68 was sold new in TN, had a lot of owners, but went all the way back to the dealer info, options, MSO, all of the owners. 1/2" thick stack of documentation for $15.00. I was lucky -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:19:49 AM »
Sometimes persistence pays off.  PA says that they only go back 10 years (15 years for law enforcement searches), but I've gotten copies of records off of microfiche that were 40+ years old within the past few years.  One of the cars was wrecked in 1981 and the DMV sent a copy of the registration from that year with the owner's name and address on it.  Always mark on the paperwork that the request is for the purpose of historical research and send in payment for 4 or 5 records.  When you receive back the "stock" answer that the records only go back 10 years - send the request back and ask for a search of microfiche.  tell them that you have paid for and are requesting the 4 documents.  A good cover letter about the historical significance of the car seems to help.  I've mailed requests back and forth 5 or 6 times before they finally send copies of the old records.

anything